Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
DaveO6
Star
Star

Cameras disconnect from the Base Station all the time. I power off the Base Station and a couple of hours later it will reconnect and all is well. Then some time later (hours) despite the Cameras showing as connected they do not actually record anything. Ultimately the green LED on the Base station showing Camera connectivity goes out.

On a second base station I do not have this problem but today motion was activated and I looked at the recording. Two ladies were at the door and then suddenly they dissapeared but I could still hear their voices.

Firmware is the cause of this as the Firmware upgrade has been an unmitigated disaster.

I would appreciate Netgear fixing this issue so I have a functioning Security system again instead of expensive caattractive cameras that are expensive pieces of metal and plastic but which do not do anything useful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DaveO6
Star
Star

I tried unsuccessfully to contact Arlo Support. 

So I resorted to looking at the Community posts. I saw one about a similar issue whereby the signal was being lost either by the Cameras or the Wifi signal was being lost. There was also talk about interference between the Base Station and the Router or WiFi hub.

You have to realise my system has been working for over a year without problems so I was reluctant to move the Base Station but I did move it on Friday. It means the Base Station is now closer to the External cameras but much furhter away from the Internal camera. It was based with a lot of other electrical equipment and now it is not.

Since moving the Base Station I have had no issues with the external cameras or the internal camera. So this leads me to believe that my setup was compromised by the firmware upgrade which reduced the strength of the camera signal (to conserve battery power presumably) and this led to this intermittent issue.

So I am pleased that the problem is resolved but I am frustrated that the firmware upgrade did not consider the implications it would have on the Users. In future firmware upgrades should include documentation on the changes being made and potential implications for users. Not only would this help the Users troubleshoot the issues but it would also help Netgear by reducing potential support requests.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

DaveO6
Star
Star

I tried unsuccessfully to contact Arlo Support. 

So I resorted to looking at the Community posts. I saw one about a similar issue whereby the signal was being lost either by the Cameras or the Wifi signal was being lost. There was also talk about interference between the Base Station and the Router or WiFi hub.

You have to realise my system has been working for over a year without problems so I was reluctant to move the Base Station but I did move it on Friday. It means the Base Station is now closer to the External cameras but much furhter away from the Internal camera. It was based with a lot of other electrical equipment and now it is not.

Since moving the Base Station I have had no issues with the external cameras or the internal camera. So this leads me to believe that my setup was compromised by the firmware upgrade which reduced the strength of the camera signal (to conserve battery power presumably) and this led to this intermittent issue.

So I am pleased that the problem is resolved but I am frustrated that the firmware upgrade did not consider the implications it would have on the Users. In future firmware upgrades should include documentation on the changes being made and potential implications for users. Not only would this help the Users troubleshoot the issues but it would also help Netgear by reducing potential support requests.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DaveO6 wrote:

but it would also help Netgear by reducing potential support requests.

Just want to point out that Arlo hasn't been part of Netgear for quite a while now.  It's an independent company.

DaveO6
Star
Star

Thanks Stephen. 

I was unaware of that. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation