Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
robbiebrown34
Guide
Guide

Hi Everyone

I have a 2 camera Pro2 kit and its been working really well. I have one of them continuously connected to the power (with a CVR package) and the other one is battery on the other side of the house.

Last night at around 4:30am (UK Time) the CVR stopped working. I also kept getting notifications that there was movement, but no videos shown within the app (I'd not changed any settings, the motion detection was active and set to record for up to 300 seconds).

So I checked, and the camera is no longer charging via USB either, it says the power is out. I've checked the socket, moved the camera elsewhere and still no power. When I first plug the USB in I see the blue light on the camera but then nothing else and the camera is not contactable. I put the battery in and I've got a working camera again but no CVR.

So - I thought "swap the cameras" - I did that, same issue. Camera powered on and worked fine, but no charging.

So - I thought "swap the cables" - I did that, same issue

So - I thought "try a portable power pack" - I did that, WORKED?! What? The portable charger works fine, but a USB socket on my wall socket no longer works (has done for months!) and the official netgear one doesn't work either.

At wits end here, I suspect there was a firmware update overnight thats broken something and now I have no CVR unless I plug in the portable power which I've done.

Can anyone tell me how to check i there was a firmware update, and what the release notes were etc?

The cameras are both on firmware: 1.125.5.0_17202 Hardware V3.

The base unit is on: 1.9.8.0_16666

I've no idea where else to go with this. The cameras have worked seemlessly for months (one wired, one battery). I've not changed any cables and both cameras have the exact same issue when I swap them around, yet one of them has never actually been connected to power before so I know its not physically broken.

Any ideas? If there's a way to downgrade firmware then that would be my last resort.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
robbiebrown34
Guide
Guide

Looking at the release notes, it seems there was a base station update overnight which would tie in nicely with the issues.

Been over an hour since I last posted - everything still working and even the other issues I had this morning with the camera sending notifications but not recording events, has fixed itself without me doing a thing.

There were definitely some gremlins in the system this morning. Never had a problem in the past like this and just weird how it all started at 4:30am (almost to the second!).

Anyway, happy to flag this one as solved now - I'll report back any other anomalies if I come across any!

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
brh
Master
Master

@robbiebrown34

We have no way of knowing if there was a firmware update last night. Maybe when James_C logs in today he can tell us if there were any firmware updates in the UK last night. I do know in the US we have had several firmware updates in the last couple of days. You could try to contact Support. There is banner near the bottom of this page with a link to Customer support.

I am reluctant to tell you to do anything until I understand your post a little better.

When you say socket are you referring to the wall outlet?

When you say USB do you mean the little power adapter/charger that came with the unit?

I don't understand what you are saying when you say portable power pack.

Once we here in the US can understand thes things, maybe we can help you.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First I would say USB adater issue or port.... The fact that the cam works with the power pack sort of eliminates that.

All i can think of is to make sure you are using a qualcom ac adapter like supplied as it delivers dual voltage so it can charge and/or run the cam.

Maybe the adapter ( not the cable alone ) has gone bad.

There is no way of going back in FW to my knowledge.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
robbiebrown34
Guide
Guide

Ok - It seems that this issue has miraculously resolved itself.

I'd love to tell you that it was user error and I was being an idiot, but I haven't done a single thing differently.

Since my first post, I left the cameras running on battery and all was working fine (except CVR, obviously)

I've just gone back to the CVR enabled cam, connected it into the USB socket and viola!, its working again. I have no idea how, I'm connecting via the same cables to the same sockets that I was earlier this morning.

Very, very bizarre. When I plugged it in just now I couldn't believe it myself. Been over in my head what else I have missed but I've no idea why it just stopped working, and at 4:30am when I was sound asleep.

For now its a mystery. Especially since it was both cameras and I've not had this issue before.

Really appreciate the quick responses.Hopefully the issue won't come back but we will see...

Thanks again.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Us arlo pro 2 .i did have a firmware update
brh
Master
Master

I think the moral to this story is if it is between midnight and, say, 5 am (US time) don't get too excited, wait for 30 to 45 minutes to see if the issue settles itself down.

I think when a firmware update is happening the first green LED on the base station should be flashing green.

Brian

robbiebrown34
Guide
Guide

Looking at the release notes, it seems there was a base station update overnight which would tie in nicely with the issues.

Been over an hour since I last posted - everything still working and even the other issues I had this morning with the camera sending notifications but not recording events, has fixed itself without me doing a thing.

There were definitely some gremlins in the system this morning. Never had a problem in the past like this and just weird how it all started at 4:30am (almost to the second!).

Anyway, happy to flag this one as solved now - I'll report back any other anomalies if I come across any!

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Pro 2 camera also had an update
cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
I think there was an update to the pro 2.

Last night my camera was at 65%. No motion detection overnight, it now is at 8%!!

I remember the legendary 15388 firmware as it fixed the offline issue and my pro 2 has been fine...until this 17202. That seems to have really upset the battery monitoring on it. Something isn't right.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
You think there was an update there was an update check your camera device info
robbiebrown34
Guide
Guide

Thanks @Johnny290 for the input. 

Do you know if there are any release notes available for the update? I can only find the ones for the base station from 30th Jan. 

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
There are release notes but they aren't saying much. These companies do not like to admit that anything is broken but maybe if we're lucky they fix the night vision
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Fix for max length recordings
Battery performance improvements
Fix for rapid battery drain. Firm 17202
cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
17202 seems to have given mine rapid drain! It was fine up until last night...now lost 57% in 4 hours 😉

I assume a reset may help but I'm on holiday.
robbiebrown34
Guide
Guide

@Johnny290 I saw those release notes but they don't seem to be for the firmware level I'm on or the camera model. They're for: Arlo Pro Camera 1.092.0.8_17203

I totally appreciate that things can go wrong with software updates, they cannot test every little aspect so thats fine. 

Whats unacceptable is that the user has no option to rollback an update to a known working version. It should be there as an option by default. 

I'm a fairly technical person so I went through the issues this morning quite methodically - for me it paid off but for others they might have returned the unit as faulty or even worse - had intruders and the camera had been rendered completely useless as it was in my case. 

Notifications are fine, but if there's no recording to back it up then it's pointless having a camera! 

Still, I'm a happy Arlo customer. Overall they've been brilliant. Just little things like this (that could be big things!) really damage the reputation!

robbiebrown34
Guide
Guide

@cbaileyuk - This is a prime example of why they should allow you to rollback an update, or at the very least give you the option to update or not. 

Hopefully yours didnt suffer the same fate as mine and is still recording movement and if you have power connected, thats working too!

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Okay but my Pro 2 cameras have definitely updated they were at 583 and now they're at 1702 this has happened in the past 24 hours
robbiebrown34
Guide
Guide

@Johnny290 Totally agree Johnny. Maybe they've not had chance to put the release notes online yet. Its early morning over in CA now, so lets see if they have any update over the next few hours.

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree with the rollback idea. Nice suggestion. A tickbox that permits last version.

I hope mine survive until Friday when I get home but 8% doesn't fill me with much confidence ! 😪
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
PRODUCTSArloToggle Menu
Johnny290
Johnny290

Search the community...
Submit
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Ask a Question

Firmware Release Notes
Topic Options

JamesC
JamesC NETGEAR Moderator
NETGEAR Moderator
‎2018-01-31 11:24 AM
Release Notes – Arlo Pro 2 Camera 1.125.5.0_17202 – 31st January 2017
Release Notes – Arlo Pro 2 Camera 1.124.1.0_15483 – 4th November 2017.PNG

Details:

Arlo Pro 2 Camera 1.125.5.0_17202

Fix for rapid battery drain
Fix for max length recordings
Improve brightness in night vision
Fix for ghosting with CVR enabled
Battery performance improvements
Fix for camera offline
Improvement for Audio/Video time sync
Message 1 of 1
Labels:
Firmware Release Notes
Tags (0)
Add tags
0 Kudos
All topics
Need More Help?
Contact Support
arlo
Facebook

Twitter

Youtube

Instagram
PRODUCTS
Arlo Security Light
Arlo Pro 2
Arlo Pro
Arlo
Arlo Go
Arlo Q
Arlo Q Plus
Arlo Baby
Explore All Products
CONNECT
For Business
What's New
Support
Community
Become an Arlo Reseller
My Arlo
NETGEAR.com
Privacy Policy
Copyright NETGEAR 2018. All Rights Reserved.

robbiebrown34
Guide
Guide

Thanks @Johnny290 - Looks like they've just uploaded it. I'd imagine they're just coming into work and will soon realise the issues people have had! 

For anyone else interested, here is the link to the Release Notes for this particular software update:https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Release-Notes-Arlo-Pro-2-Camera-1-125-5-0-17...

RVP
Star
Star

17202 – 31st January 2017 ?

Zerauskire
Tutor
Tutor
I have a similar issue. After the recent update now none of my cameras will charge. I have the 4 pack. I’ve tried different cables and different plugs. I even went and bought new adapters and cords. Still won’t charge. None of them.

I actually had a camera that was dead so it couldn’t do the update. So I plugged it in to charge it and after it updated it just stopped charging. Same outlet, adapter, and cord it was using just before the update.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Zerauskire,

Are you sure you're using the official NETGEAR branded charging cable and ac adapter that came with your cameras?

Take a look here for more information: What power adapter can I use to charge my Arlo Pro or Arlo Go batteries?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation