Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
tedman
Tutor
Tutor

I set up a brand new Arlo Pro 2 setup with two cameras this week and everything works great, except the Activity Zone.  Each time I try to create an activity zone (attempted 6 times) the zone won't save.  The camera is plugged into power, it allows me to select a zone, but when I hit the "Save" button, nothing saves.

I read in this community that the Activity Zone were disabled as recently as Feb 2018.  Is that still the case?  Not sure what else to try.  I don't believe I need to upgrade to CVR to use Activity Zones.

Thx

Ted

66 REPLIES 66
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

Okay I just deleted the zone let's see what happens I will get back to you

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

So far I think you are right I cannot confirm that the zones are working my wife just pulled in the driveway and my camera was triggered I did delete my zones

hockeythug
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can confirm this is working again.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

How can you confirm the zones are working. I know you can create them I can too. But how can you confirm or how are you confirming that they are actually functioning

Argee
Aspirant
Aspirant
To test, use your cam through a window. Delete your zone, and then try a motion test. You'll find that you can save frantically right in front and the passive IR won't pick you up. Then add a zone... If motion deltection works, it's using pixel detection based on your zone.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

Okay thanks

Argee
Aspirant
Aspirant
Small typo... That was "wave frantically", not "save frantically"....
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Arms don't work nealy as well as a moving torso. Frantically waving/saving arms isn't the best test.

Argee
Aspirant
Aspirant
Are you saying that pixel detection does work? Or are you disagreeing with my basic test description? Torsos don't pick up either...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have a P2 looking through a window and it won't detect motion regardless of in or out of a zone. The PIR detection is blocked due to the glass. I have to use a nested rule (cam1 detects, cam2 records) in order to trigger recording.

We're told this is because the P2 only uses pixel detection for zones AFTER the PIR detects motion. This is unlike the Q camera which uses pixel detection only.

Argee
Aspirant
Aspirant
If that's accurate that PIR is required for Pixel detection, then Netgear had been misleading and I've wasted money on a pro2 when a pro1 could have been just as useless behind glass. The whole point of having it behind glass is to prevent it from being stolen if it we're outside. The condo complex has a picky HOA is very against mounting anything externally.
Thanks you for confirming that pixel detection doesn't work for you either. I read another thread that stated pixel detection required hardware changes, not just software to make it work. I'm thinking that's a load of BS and that software is exactly what is need to make true pixel detection work.
QUESTION: If I had a CVR plan (which I REALLY wish there was a free limited time trial (7 days would be enough) so I could simply test this myself) , would pixel-detection work if PIR is not available (ie through glass)? And by "work", I want to be able to create rules using motion detection, to not only alert me, but sound the alarm (when combined with geofencing).
Thanks!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Argee wrote:
QUESTION: If I had a CVR plan (which I REALLY wish there was a free limited time trial (7 days would be enough) so I could simply test this myself) , would pixel-detection work if PIR is not available (ie through glass)? And by "work", I want to be able to create rules using motion detection, to not only alert me, but sound the alarm (when combined with geofencing).

You can subscribe to CVR and then cancel it and only be charged for the time you used it (I believe). Worst case, you'd get charged for one month.

CVR has nothing to do with detection - it just records the stream the whole time. Of course, the camera has to be AC-powered for this. To get the indoor camera to record, you'd have to use an outdoor camera to detect but trigger the recording on the inside camera.

cam1 detects, cam1 records

cam1 detects, cam2 records

etc.

Argee
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can I get an official response from Netgear on this? This is BS.... Using another cam to trigger detection is NOT pixel detection. The rules are easy to create.... I'm not looking to add an outdoor cam or preorder a security light.
And I "might be able" to only pay for what I use with CVR didn't cut it when my only billable option is $99 or $199, charged in annual (not monthly!) Increments.
I read that with CVR, you get markers to highlight detections... Without detections, am I supposed to review all 7 or 14 days worth of footage? What a joke....
An official response from NG support would be helpful. Much more so than their chat "help".
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Argee,

As jguerdat mentioned above, Arlo Pro 2 uses PIR to detect motion. PIR detection will not work through glass.

JamesC

Argee
Aspirant
Aspirant
Then Arlo Pro 2 does NOT do pixel "detection". It does notification filtering, action PIR detection. 2 weeks of problems and back and forths to get to the bottom of this, and now I'm too late to return the camera for a refund.
I'm not impressed.... Hopefully you can make good on your marketing claims (ie. Pixel detection) and add the functionality via software/firmware. What am I looking for? I want the pro 2 to work through a window (and I can put up with reflection false+positives...). Thank you
bscardin
Star
Star

If the Arlo Pro 2 does not use pixel detection when motion zones are in place then why on earth does it need constant power to use zones?!?  This is pretty frustrating.  If it uses PIR then let me use zones on battery power.

I bought a new Arlo Pro 2 and while the image is marginally better than the Arlo Pro, I can't use any of the new features that it has.  I want to run it outdoors with motion zones but currently no official weatherproof cable exists and even if it did the motion zones would not work as I would expect.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@Argee wrote:
Then Arlo Pro 2 does NOT do pixel "detection". It does notification filtering, action PIR detection. 2 weeks of problems and back and forths to get to the bottom of this, and now I'm too late to return the camera for a refund.
I'm not impressed.... Hopefully you can make good on your marketing claims (ie. Pixel detection) and add the functionality via software/firmware. What am I looking for? I want the pro 2 to work through a window (and I can put up with reflection false+positives...). Thank you

Arlo Pro 2 does do pixel detection--just not pixel detection alone.  Arlo Pro 2 uses a logical combination of PIR detection and pixel detection.  Both detectors must be active for an alert to occur. You must have a PIR detection as well as changing pixels within a defined zone.

This behavior could be changed by NETGEAR via firmware, if they chose to do so.  However, pixel detection alone is highly false alarm prone, so I wouldn't expect it.