Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Activity Zones need AC power to use the full functionality?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
MikeSask
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wanted to activate the activity zones on 1 of my cameras as it points at a busy street and the battery dies in less than 1 month. On my initial attempt, it said the camera must be plugged into AC power. So, I bring the camera into the house and guestimate where I want those zones to be. I then take the camera back outside and guess what????? Activity zones are inactive as they require AC power? WTF? What is the point of having cordless cameras, if i have to supply them with AC power to use the full functionality? Am I missing the boat here? Did I do something wrong?

2 REPLIES 2
Nash2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problems with my Pro2.  Despite the warning I set up a desired activity zone, plus turned the motion detection sensitivity down to minimum and both are ignored and the nuisance notifications continue.  Likewise, camera positioning allows you to zoom in on the desired field of view but this exercise is ignored and the camera reverts to its original field of view and alarms on everything it sees.  I will track your post and my two and hopefully someone has a fix.  It seems the Pro2 has some built in smarts but I'm pissed on how difficult it seems to make use of them

Dannybear
Master
Master

I’m no expert but I think that the camera when using battery only uses the PIR detection to turn on the camera electronics to record the video.
When the camera is externally powered then the camera electronics is running all the time so that the activity zones can be monitored by the base.
Then when a PIR motion detection event occurs, the base checks the video for the wanted zone and triggers the recording.

The activity zones are disabled when battery operation only so that you get the best battery time. Running the camera electronics continuously will likely drain the battery in a day or two.

If you need to use the activity zones on a camera in a remote location that has no Mains power close by then try a USB battery pack or two at the end of charger cable that makes the camera last longer and placed in a convenient location to allow you to swap it out at a more convenient time.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation