Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
jemcneill
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just added an Arlo Pro 2 for my driveway camera because the resolution on the standard Arlo was not good enough to read a license plate.  I also purchased it because of the Activity Zones feature but have now discovered that this only works when the unit is wired.  Lame.

If you can't have it use Activity Zones when wireless why tout the feature for a WIRELESS camera?  You should at leas allow an wireless mode with Activity Zones to do a quick validation when starting the camera.  If motion was detected only in the excluded zone it should not send an alert.

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry to say, but Arlo cameras most of the time will not read plates....

These cameras are more of a wide angle and reading plates requires a tight shot with focus on a small object.

So, most cameras that do read plates, do not see the whole picture... it is alway a trade off

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I replaced an Arlo Pro with an Arlo Pro 2 in my driveway and the distance at which licence plates can be read is significantly more.
Unfortunately, to have zones, you need full time AC power and the same applies to the 3s lookback feature

jemcneill
Aspirant
Aspirant

Actually it picks up the plates pretty well.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The "lame" need for AC power is that the camera needs more power to utilize those features. If Arlo didn't require the use of external power there would be all sorts of whining about extremely short battery life.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation