Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
azarloGuy
Apprentice
Apprentice

When opening the app and I go to the mode tab the devices take a very long time to update.  I have multiple base stations across several properties and a couple of them show their status right away and others sit on "getting information" for as long as 5 minutes (I've timed it, not exaggerating).   What's going on?  Seems with every ios app update things get worse not better.  So frustrating.  I've had these cameras now for almost 4 years and the system is yet to function as designed.  Geez.

52 REPLIES 52
TCGC
Initiate
Initiate
Hi, Since doing the latest IOS (iPhone) app update for Arlo, I can no longer connect to my phones. It just says “getting status”, and won’t show the “mode”. This update has rendered the system inoperable unless I log into my account on a computer. I have contacted Arlo and they said they were working on an app fix over a week ago. It still doesn’t work! And ideas will be much appreciated!
Dannybear
Master
Master
I have noticed a few times that the mode status updates the display almost immediately after the dashboard is loaded. This has occurred about one in twenty login events which takes about 25 seconds to update.
It would not surprise me that the extra delays are caused by the arlo server rather than the App.
My setup:
Arlo iOS App v2.19.2
iPhone 5s iOS v12.4.6
2 x VMB4000r3 v1.16.2.5_3508_62df...
4 x Arlo Pro 2 camera v1.125.14.0_34_1189
Xanat0s
Tutor
Tutor
Same with me. Since the last update it takes between 30 and 45 seconds of “getting information” in the mode tab before I can change the mode of my Arlo Q. My arlo 2 connects faster but still takes some time. The frustrating part is that if I try to arm it quickly with the app shortcuts or the “arm all” button, it will only arm cameras that have already successfully made it through the “getting information” part so I still have to wait, staring at my phone for almost a minute each time I want to arm or disarm my cameras.
azarloGuy
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have had the same issue very long delays but happy to report that hopefully the fix is coming soon. I am testing a beta version and that problem does not appear in the beta the getting status page updates almost inmediately so hopefully once testing is complete they will release it. This is the second version of the beta as the first had some bugs but those too were addressed so maybe(fingers crossed) Arlo support has turned a corner and is addressing these issues finally and just as important, more thorough testing before releasing a new version as many of us have suggested. So far so good, no new new bugs that I have discovered.
Xanat0s
Tutor
Tutor
Oh that’s great news! Thank u so much for letting me know. I’ll look forward to that release.
MarionBell
Tutor
Tutor

After reinstalling/installing app, removing cameras adding cameras....... my cameras now work on live mode from my phone but even when in armed mode they do not activate with movement. Very frustrating!  

simul1
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, are there any news about the release date of the new app version? Actually this issue is becoming quite risky: sometimes I am not able to disable or enable cams when I need to...

Dannybear
Master
Master
I installed the iOS app onto my iPad to to see if it was just my iPhone 5s that was delaying the status update.
I found that the iPad would take 10sec longer than the than the iPhone.
I then checked the iPhone app to find that it was now taking 10sec longer again to update.
I had to disable the iPad apps’ run in background option to remove the extra 10sec delay on the iPhone.
While this is not helpful to anyone it begs the question that if having multiple devices with the app loaded and adding the 10sec delays, could I have another unknown device with the app logging in also?
Xanat0s
Tutor
Tutor
This is really interesting. I hadn’t considered other devices may be slowing down the connection. We do have at least one other iPhone and an iPad that would have the app installed although we rarely access the cameras through those devices. I’ll have to test it out. Thanks!
simul1
Tutor
Tutor
In my case, I have only one app installed on my iPhone. There are not any other devices logged in with my account. Again, this issue appeared with the upgrade to version 2.19.2, while before everything was running smoothly.

Maybe additional devices make the situation worse, but I bet multiple devices are not the root cause.
Dannybear
Master
Master
@simul1
Thanks for the feedback, yes agree that the issue is App related.
I first noticed the delay when I installed version 2.19.0 and subsequents versions due to language bugs.
If I enable run in background for the arlo App on the iPad, the extra 10sec delay returns causing 35sec to update status on each device.
Ran1
Tutor
Tutor

Still same issue.

Triggering by time and zone seem to be very scratchy as well.

86Pestfinder
Aspirant
Aspirant
I keep getting messages saying"getting status" on all 5 cameras. It's even did it on just 1 camera today. What's going on?
tmuecke
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here. All cameras, Arlo-q, Arlo Go, Arlo Pro need around 30s after opening the App to show status. Until than the screen are black and say cameras are down.
This means you have to wait this time until you can take any action. Unacceptable! Please Arlo do something.
azarloGuy
Apprentice
Apprentice
It’s fixed in version 2.20 which I am testing. just waiting for them to get it out of the beta test. Hopefully soon. But the status updates almost instantly.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@azarloGuy 

Has it addressed the IOS update to 13.7. It was ok for me for app 2.19.2 but have seen some others with new problems but it could be isolated problems. 

azarloGuy
Apprentice
Apprentice
Not sure but I would guess they are focusing on iOS 14 which I am testing also and it’s working fine with iOS 14. I am on the second beta 2.20 and seems quite stable there were a few bugs in the first beta but they were addressed in the second beta.
dcfox1
Master
Master

Thanks. I guess IOS 14 is forthcoming. I just updated to 13.7 a few days ago. 

simspos
Guide
Guide

VMB3000 base, 3 x VMC3030 Cameras, Arlo Smart

iPhone 5 SE, IOS 13.7

..... Finally the problem is fixed (for me)

As of latest release v2.20 (1201) the 25+ second latency is gone and camera status is displayed after approximately 5 seconds

Dannybear
Master
Master
My iPhone 5s is loading faster now with the new app. 10sec from launch to status icons populated.
iPad Air 2 loads quicker at about 8aec.
Thanks to all that were involved with getting this update out to us.
simul1
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, I can confirm that with version 2.20 "Modes" tab loads faster (about 10 seconds), even if it is slower than in the past. At least, this delay is acceptable and makes the app usable again.

However, the order of devices in "Modes" tab is still mixed up and I did not find any ways to restore original sorting.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

This issue with the Mode tab & the status stuck on Getting information for excessive time should now be resolved. Please make sure you have the latest version of the Arlo mobile App 2.20 installed. You can find more information regarding this update here: Arlo iOS App - 2.20 - 15th September 2020

ChowHound
Tutor
Tutor

The software on desktops still has the same issue I reported before.  Amazing that it hasn't been fixed still. 

simspos
Guide
Guide

Hi ChowHound,

Bear in mind i'm just a user like yourself and nothing to do with Arlo, but looking at your problems it appears you don't have permission to alter the modes (or anything else for that matter).

Just a thought but can you confirm you're logged in as the original/main account holder and not as an additional user who has not been granted access rights by the main user. This would explain the greyed out menus/buttons.

Obviously if you can access all the features on your phone but not on the PC with the same login then the above doesn't apply and there is something else amiss.

Meiko
Aspirant
Aspirant

If Arlo offer to give your money back they will most likely get you to pay for their return. I would try to return them to the place you purchased them from. I’m in Aust and paid $1200 for two Ultras and base station and $200 for the lights And another 400 for a 3rd camera. So far have logged 4 tickets with them over that time and 2 of those tickets was told the products were faulty and send them back. Both times they wanted me to pay for the faulty products to be returned. Once they receive them they would send me the replacements. I have declined and just waiting for the rest cameras to fail then moving on to a different brand. Good luck and hope they refund you 🙂

Discussion stats