Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
scwiha
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all

New Arlo user, first time poster, be gentle:

I've recently installed 4 Pro 2 cameras, which are working really well. When I use the Arlo web portal to see what's going on, everything works at it should. So far, so good.

The problem is I'm often away from my property and need to use the Android app to check on things, and for me it's really unreliable. Even when everything is connected and working on the web portaI, switching to the app brings up "Arlo is currently unavailable" or "Your Arlo device appears offline" errors, or the app hangs on "Getting status..." until I just give up.

The app works about maybe 30% of the time but every minute or two it switches randomly between working and throwing up error messages. I'm concerned that although the web portal proves the system is online and available, the app's unpredictable behaviour means I won't get alerts when I should. I bought the Arlos because my propery was recently broken into, so this is a huge issue for me.

As a newbie, I realise (and hope) I could be missing something here. Is the Android app really this much of a headache and are other users having similar problems? Should I try reinstalling the app to see if it resolves things?

Thanks guys.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Rebooting the phone and reinstalling the app are always good things to try first. WHat phone and OS? Is the OS up to date? Have you tried both cell service as well as WiFi?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Rebooting the phone and reinstalling the app are always good things to try first. WHat phone and OS? Is the OS up to date? Have you tried both cell service as well as WiFi?

scwiha
Aspirant
Aspirant

Appreciate the response.

Samsung A5 2017 running Android 8.0. Everything is up to date.

I've reinstalled the app, turned off wi-fi, and all seems to be OK when connecting by cell. No idea why this makes a difference but if that's all it takes to solves things, I'm happy. Fingers crossed everything continues to play well together.

Thanks for your help.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try WiFi in multiple places. If the issue only occurs at home, it would seem to be a local issue. Rebooting the router may help. Make sure the router is up to date, too.

scwiha
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had the same problem using wi-fi at home, at the in-laws place and at work, so it's not just a local issue. After reinstalling the app, it's still throwing up the same error messages and is a waste of time on wi-fi. But switching to cell (with the app open or closed) sorts everything out. From what I can tell, the app has issues with wi-fi that it doesn't have with a cell connection. I'll reboot my router and check for updates just in case. Thanks for the suggestion.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since it happens on multiple networks, it's very unlikely that the issue is the router. What phone and OS? Have you tried another device? This sort of problem is not common so it appears to be something about your particular device. A factory reset of the phone may or may not help but is worth considering. Others have had weird problems solved by doing so. The app simply needs internet access so somethinng about the phone's WiFi is causing the issue. Maybe some anti-virus/malware software that's installed?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation