Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo 2 and Minnesota cold

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
harleyguy1955
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing this system, the Arlo 2.  I have asked this question before, but cannot seem to get an answer.  How does this sytem work in the cold weahter of Minnesota?  It says on the packaging that it only goes down to -4 F.  Does the system completely shut down, or, how is the battery life with very cold temperatures?

Thanks, look forward to hearing from someone.

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's hard to say since it was just released and hasn't been through a winter yet.  However, I expect that it will be exactly like the Pro in that the camera will turn off at -4F which has been demonstrated in the past.

luci
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have used Arlo and Arlo Pro in Northern Minnesota for two winters (and summers). The Arlo Pro (and I imagine the Arlo Pro 2, as well) turn off just below 0º (maybe at 5 below) and turn back on when the temp reaches around 0º. On the other hand, the original Arlo wireless chugs along at -30º, YES - that's minus 30 degrees. Because the original Arlos use non-rechargeable batteries, they keep working through the cold. I have now replaced the outside Arlo Pros with Arlos, and use the Pros indoors. The downside is that Arlo does not have audio, but at least they continue to live stream and record video. Netgear now links to rechargeable batteries for the Arlo on Amazon. I use them in the summer and switch to the replaceable, non-rechargeables in the winter. I actually leave Minnesota in the winter and the batteries last for 6 months or so.

luci
Aspirant
Aspirant

The temps I mentioned above are Fahrenheit.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation