Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo 2 Base Station and StarLink

Discussion stats
tlstafford
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is everyone having good luck connecting the Arlo 2 Base Station to StarLink (once the Ethernet adapter is connected)?

42 REPLIES 42
Unclerojo
Aspirant
Aspirant

*Airport Express 1st gen

2peashome
Aspirant
Aspirant

HI,

I am super new to Starlink but have had my Arlo system for a few years hooked up to the old DSL...

I just received my Starlink a few days ago and have it working now but now am testing that it works well enough for our streaming needs and that I can set up our Arlo to it.  I DO have an Apple Airport and was trying to get it set up with Starlink to then connect  Arlo to AA.  I got as far as using my laptop (because the Airport Utility on my phone was not even recognizing the AA device even after resetting to factory settings) to at least recognize the AA by name and then set it up to wirelessly connect to an existing network (Starlink).  It goes through the motions of having me set up my password for it and then searches for the SLN and finds it but then says there was a problem connecting.   What should I do?  will I have to get the SL ethernet cord and if so, that would connect to the AA or to the Arlo base station??  Thanks!

evk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m guessing that the Apple Airport isn’t compatible with the Starlink. You may have to eventually get their Ethernet adapter but during this holiday season it may take a while. While waiting for mine I hooked up an old TP link router that did recognize the Starlink. I put it in the mode where it acts like a repeater, then I took the Ethernet from the back of it and distributed it to where I needed it. I hope that helps. 

chuber12
Initiate
Initiate

Bought the ethernet cable adapter port from Starlink, since my Starlink wifi router did not have an extra ethernet cable port. I also bought a crossover ethernet cable from Amazon.  I connected the crossover ethernet cable & Arlo base station directly into the Starlink wifi port, I also made sure to hit the reset button on the back of the Arlo base station for 10 seconds until it blinked amber and turned back to blue.  Works great!

Emac7071
Initiate
Initiate

Our system was working with Starlink and Ethernet cable and adapter.  It is now not receiving internet.  This morning had it briefly.  Was able to reset and add two cameras before it went off.  Internet working great on everything else.  Even bought new Ethernet cable.  Frustrating.

jdevaney
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is not plug to put the ethernet cord into the Starlink router.  What adapter could I use?

evk
Aspirant
Aspirant

You need the Starlink adapter. It goes in line with your current cable and gives you one Ethernet output. 

jdevaney
Aspirant
Aspirant

Where can I get the adapter?

Samfromwv
Aspirant
Aspirant

So. I didn't listen and just connected the cable with the Lan adapter straight in while it was on. Didn't work. I slept on it and read videos. I unplugged the starlink router and all the cables. Let it set for a half hour. Plugged the cables I. First then turned on the router. Waited 30 min for it to hook back up and had connection. Then I reset the arlo base station and with the power to it off I plugged in the ethernet cables and then powered it on. It worked. 

evk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great! First rule of irritable electronics. Turn em all off, fire em up, and let ‘em reboot. That fixes 75% of the problems. 

Samfromwv
Aspirant
Aspirant

AAAAAnnnnd now it is off again.  Grrrrrrh!!

skw10acres
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oops... Sorry, that is you (aspirant). Mine is still fine. I did lose connection during really severe wind conditions but wasn't on site to see what the status of the system really was during that time. Other than that no problems. What's going on with yours? 

Trichomes
Tutor
Tutor

One thing for certain is the crossover Ethernet cable is not needed, but the ethernet connection from Starlink is!

The issue I am having is my Basestation goes offline after a couple of days, this can be fixed but means switching off Starlink, switch off basestation, leave everything off for a minute or two and switch Starlink on, wait for it to boot up, then switch on basestation wait for it to boot up, it wont come online, but once its properly switched on, do the factory reset, you need to push the button for 10 seconds.

Then reset all the cameras, my basestation then wanted to update and was working amazing, instant messaging, sadly, the base station is offline again, so I am thinking it could be a dynamic IP issue, what this could mean is the Starlink IP refreshes and when this happens it disconnects the Basestation and it cannot connect any more without a full reset again. This is what my IT instinct is telling me.

Im going to try and get through to Arlo support and find a solution. I will report my findings when I find a fix. Hope there is one! If not I will try and talk to Starling to see if its possible for a Static IP, sadly that might be a feature they charge more for, let's hope there is a fix.

Best Wishes

Andrewbert
Aspirant
Aspirant

Use a ethernet switch or cross over ethernet cable and will work just fine. Just hook all up then plug in/turn on your Arlo ...will work no problem.  Used this method even though the Arlo at first worked without but  then would not reconnect due to speed changes with 100mps...it could not sync.  Once the switch put on everything was resolved.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Andrewbert wrote:

Use a ethernet switch or cross over ethernet cable and will work just fine. 

If you don't have either, I'd recommend getting a switch.  Both are inexpensive, and the switch has more utility.  Also, it eliminates the chance that you'll lost track of which cable is the crossover.

TerraLee
Aspirant
Aspirant

What did you find out by contacting Arlo?

jdevaney
Aspirant
Aspirant

Absolutely nothing. I have Pro 4 cameras and was able to get them to recognize my Wi-Fi so they are working no base station needed. Now I have a device I do need. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@tlstafford wrote:

Is everyone having good luck connecting the Arlo 2 Base Station to StarLink (once the Ethernet adapter is connected)?

Some have found they needed to use a cross-over ethernet cable with Starlink.  Alternatively, you could connect an inexpensive ethernet switch between the router and the base.