Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo 2 Base Station and StarLink

Discussion stats
tlstafford
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is everyone having good luck connecting the Arlo 2 Base Station to StarLink (once the Ethernet adapter is connected)?

42 REPLIES 42
evk
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can’t seem to connect to Starlink, either.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Could you provide more details? What behavior are you experiencing?

JamesC

Vhoulihan
Aspirant
Aspirant
I an having the same issue. I purchased the ethernet extender and it still doesn’t connect to the internet even though it is directly connected to it.
LiveThrive
Initiate
Initiate

@JamesC Mine wont work either..turns blue for  a few minutes then back to yellow. Same StarLink setup as you.

Vhoulihan
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi there!
I was able to fix it. I purchased a wifi mesh extender from Verizon (my cellphone carrier)
I learned that only having the cameras connected directly to starlink is the way to go. I was able to plug my cellphone extender into the Wifi mesh extender in a different room. I live up a mountain in the forest so no cell or internet comes to my house.
But now it does and works excellent now. I hope your able to fix yours.
tommazza
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine wont work either..

VMB4540 Initially turns yellow then turns blue for about 20-30 seconds,  then back to blinking yellow.  App states "No Arlo devices found"

Installed ethernet adapter from Starlink which works - my desktop and laptop internet connection is working.

Tried connecting base station directly to the Starlink ethernet adapter - same response - yellow, blue, then blinking yellow. App does not find any arlo device.

skw10acres
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo Pro Base VMB4000 worked initially with Starlink. Then a week or so later looses internet. Everything else works. Computer works off the adapter. I fooled around with it for a couple of days finally got it to reconnect and that lasted about a day and a half. What could be causing this intermittent network disconnect with Starlink And then subsequently will not reconnect at all.??? I took the base station down to a different environment and it's been working there now for several days. Taking bets that it fails when I take it back up to the remote Starlink site.
LiveThrive
Initiate
Initiate

Yes I had to buy a wifi extender and put the arlo base station as far from the starlink router as I could.

Sian
Aspirant
Aspirant

Me too. I’ve been trying to get this to work for 6 months, no joy.

skw10acres
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had to put the Starlink router in bypass mode and set a static IP and gateway IP appropriately on my own router. That required some reading blogs and watching a few YouTubes about using my own router with Starlink. The real trick was to then take the Arlo Base to another network (I have Starlink at a remote location, and cable at an urban location).

After playing the reset game with the Arlo base station to get it working with the cable internet router location, I took it back to my Starlink location and added the cameras back in. iit's been working for a week now with Starlink and my own router.

Slong
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also having problems connecting after buying adapter.  My arlo base internet light stays off or light amber color even when connected with cable. 

Britt22
Aspirant
Aspirant

We are having the exact same issue. Did you ever get this fixed?

skw10acres
Aspirant
Aspirant

This workaround worked:

Using the Starlink router in bypass mode as to not produce wifi. Then using my own Netgear router (for wifi) plugged into Starlink's cable adapter. Arlo base plugged into the Netgear router.

No problem for months now.

There must be RF interferrence from Starlink's router when using it for wifi that messes up the Arlo base. 

evk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did. It was a faulty base station. 

Country_Boy
Aspirant
Aspirant

As the starlink is not a wired router you will need to change the Ethernet cable to a crossover cable. You can get these on Amazon for a couple of dollars. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GUMD3C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details 

This worked for me with no problems.

skw10acres
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well shucks! 

Finally, something that makes sense. Someone should tell Netgear and Starlink support. Shame the leave it to customers to figure out. 

BIG thank you? 

ppbirdie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here you are:  Starlink network, wifi extender w ethernet port, arlo base station 2 is not found by arlo app.  there is an issue that you guys should address.   Please ping me when you have an answer.  I ordered a crossover ethernet cable to see if that works but this sucks as I am in the middle of nowhere and cant set up now!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ppbirdie wrote:

I ordered a crossover ethernet cable to see if that works but this sucks as I am in the middle of nowhere and cant set up now!

A crossover cable shouldn't be needed to connect a base to a wifi extender (or to a router or a switch).  No idea why the earlier poster found it solved their problem.

evk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I didn’t need a crossover cable, nor did I put Starlink in bypass mode. I simply had a faulty base station and it was replaced. 

Country_Boy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did not have a Wi-Fi extender. The crossover cable was needed to go from the Arlo base station to the added Ethernet port to the Starlink base. Without the crossover cable it would not connect. 

evk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Interesting. I go from the Starlink Ethernet adapter to an unmanaged switch to multiple places from there including the Arlo base station. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Country_Boy wrote:

I did not have a Wi-Fi extender. The crossover cable was needed to go from the Arlo base station to the added Ethernet port to the Starlink base. Without the crossover cable it would not connect. 

I don't have a starlink base, so no idea what hardware that uses.

With gigabit ethernet there is no need (ever) for crossover cables.  The gigabit ethernet standard includes autonegotiation which eliminates the need for it.

Older ethernet (including the "fast" 100 mbit ethernet used by the Arlo base) is a bit different.  With the older ethernet there was a distinction made between uplinks and downlinks.  Older fast ethernet switches generally had a physical switch to set uplink/downlink for one of the ports.  But you could alternatively use a crossover cable.  

I am thinking that the Starlink base might also use fast ethernet (Starlink isn't fast enough to need gigabit).  That could explain why you'd need a crossover.  Putting a switch between the Starlink base and the Arlo base would also have worked.

ppbirdie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the details.   It appears that arlo should come out with an updated base station…. 

Unclerojo
Aspirant
Aspirant

After a recent Starlink update, my base station would not work with the adapter. I pulled out my old Apple Airport (hopefully you have one otherwise you will have to purchase with this fix) added it to my network and plugged it into the Arlo base station- it worked immediately.