Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary
This was an old problem that seemed to have been fixed but has been a problem again for a while. I just haven't had time to post.

In the Arlo app, the static picture for each camera is some random old picture. For example, it could be from 5 days ago, 20 h etc. Sometimes it just shows a black screen.

When it was working properly, it was a snapshot from the last video recorded or last live view. That way, you have a sense of what's going on in the area without having to do a live view.

Anyone else been having this problem with the app?

I am on Android devices, with Pro 2, Arlo Q, and Arlo Baby cameras. It's an issue with all my cameras.
66 REPLIES 66
Dannybear
Master
Master
Thanks JamesC,

This has been about for quiet sometime like months, are fault acknowledgments still require a subscriber complaints threshold to be reached? I realise non subscribers have no entitlement but surely it’s a good gauge rather than waiting for the earlier.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I don't think they really care or they would have fixed it by now.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dannybear,

We've had reports of this on varying camera models, not just legacy. The development team is still working on a resolution, it's just a relatively slippery issue. It doesn't impact all users and there appears to be inconsistency with reproducing the issue, some users consistently have the issue while others are able to alleviate with basic troubleshooting (base/camera reboots etc.)

As soon as I know more, i'll post an update here on the community.

JamesC

usafacooper
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue -- for 4 specific cameras (at Location 2).  In total, I have 8 cameras.  4 on the primary account at Location 1 and 4 on another account at Location 2 across town.  Viewing access/permission for the 4 cameras at Location 2 (across town) is shared to the primary account (Location 1).  When I login on a computer or the app (on my phone) for the account-login associated with Location 1, the 4 cameras directly on that account show static camera images that are up-to-date, but the other 4 cameras that are shared from the other account (Location 2 across town) show old images from many days ago even though those cameras are in high traffic areas, trigger events have occurred, and videos have been recorded/stored. 

NOTES:

- When I login directly to the account for the cameras at Location 2 (across town), the static camera images are up-to-date.  It seems that those images are not being pushed to the account that has permission to view/share/access the cameras. 

- It seems like this issue began a couple months ago.

- All cameras are ARLO PRO model VMC4030; Firmware 1.092.1.0_9_120d8b7

- Each base station Firmware 1.19.0.3_4074_68a8e53

- This issue is the same on these web browsers:  Chrome, IE, Edge.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need more information.

Philkurk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can confirm that it happens on the new ARLO Go 2 cameras.  Just installed 2 and there we are.  Random video displays.  I subscribe to the extended history archive for each camera

ITNinja1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Any updates on this issue?
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I'm with you I'd like to know too. It's been like this for a ridiculously amount of time
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is still investigating the issue. I do not have any new information available at this time. I will provide an update as soon as I know more.

JamesC

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
James c has been saying they're going to fix it for at least 2 months now. It's getting rather old maybe you should change your story
shuffleton
Initiate
Initiate

568 days ago on one

317 days ago another

179 Days ago ...

9 others over 100 days.  

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I've never seen a company break things so many times. And be so slow to fix things I've already started moving on to a different brand
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Another Arlo update. And Arlo is still broken. And they call this Arlo secure what a joke
ITNinja1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Any updates on this issue? Work arounds, results from multiple months of investigating, any sort of information to lead us to believe the issue is truly being looked at and where it stands as a priority? 

I appreciate any info 

Dannybear
Master
Master

I wonder if the arlo safe app would work better, I bet they have spent a lot of development time and effort rolling it out.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

At this point I doubt they are going to fix it. I have the same problem. Just one of the reasons I don't recommend Arlo to anybody

tibert
Star
Star

Went through and reset, reprogrammed all my wifes’s cameras on an Arlo pro 2 base station (vmb4500). Images finally would update. The next day they stopped refreshing again.  I wasted over 2 hours yesterday (above the countless hours in prior weeks/months) trying to get this issue fixed.  Our other account/base station (vmb4000) has had no issues.  Any update?

Dannybear
Master
Master

@tibert 

Sounds like to me you just provided an update for the arlo issue.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

I doubt they're going to fix it. They're calling Arlo Pro and Pro 2 a legacy product. And they no longer support it. There are better cameras out there and a lot cheaper prices. I have the same problem that you're having.

ITNinja1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good to know. The only thing I have noticed is that a family member has shared their cameras with my account and they all update correctly for bot them and me via the app. I have three separate base stations in two states and none of them update correctly. The only way I can get it to update the time stamp is to toggle the camera positioning for a camera and when it refreshes the view the time stamp resets. I have also tried creating a separate Arlo account and sharing my cameras with that but this made no difference.

ITNinja1
Apprentice
Apprentice

This happens to me on the newest base units and Arlo pro 3 and Arlo pro 4 just fyi. I have three different base versions, and everything from Arlo pro (1) to pro 4. No go

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

Oh I didn't know it happens on those too. The base station I have a problem with is the 4000 with Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2. I also have the 5000 base station and that's the Arlo 4K. That one I have no problem with.

ITNinja1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah, supposedly this has been somewhat random who it's happening too. I would be willing to guarantee it's in the logs on a base station but Arlo support doesn't provide a way to read them once you dump them and I have never been able to send them to their 3rd party support, email always bounces. I tried for weeks trying to share it with them but kept getting shuffled to different support people and having to start the entire Convo over again each time. To say I have become annoyed is an understatement 

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm glad this thread is still here.  After many months, just an hour ago I noticed that the snapshot/preview of recent activity is possibly working properly again.  Can this be?  Did Arlo maybe finally fix this?  I've had this issue since April/May 2022 and have had an active ticket in ever since.  I've lost so many days trouble shooting this with Arlo to no avail.  As a refresher, those affected by this issue would see the same old last activity images no matter what you used, Android, IOS or the Arlo web portal.  I have two systems, one with 3 Ultra bases and 10 cameras at one home and two ultra bases and 5 cams at another house.  Only one of those systems had this issue.  Anyone else notice an improvement as of today Jan 5???  Good Luck to All

ITNinja1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wow! I have gotten so used to being broken I had given up checking but I think you may be right!!!!

It appears to be accurate again on the snapshot and time for me as well. Thank you for bumping this!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

There have been several backend releases that included fixes that may address the issues that resulted in this behavior. More releases and fixes are still being tested. Please continue to provide feedback on the behavior of thumbnail images while we work to make sure we're resolving these issues.

Thank you,

JamesC

Discussion stats