Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
STMIT
Tutor
Tutor

Yesterday all of our cameras disconnected from the base station at the same time.  They wouldn't re-sync on their own, even after restarting the base unit and reinserting the batteries (we did this one camera at a time, per the troublshooting instructions). The base unit was showing as "armed", as it always does.

The only way I was able to get them to re-establish communication was to remove all three cameras from the account and re-add them. They worked as expected for about 7 hours, and then they all disconnected again. 

The base station is connected to a solid Internet connection and shows as "armed". When we re-synced the cameras yesterday, we kept them all within 2-3 feet of the base unit (where they still are as I type this), so I know it's not a signal issue.

Did we just get a lemon? We have restarted the base station but that didn't improve things. Any thoughts?

P.S. - The hardware version listed online isn't available as an option above, but for what it's worth it is VMB3500r4.

9 REPLIES 9
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @STMIT

Are you still experiencing this issue with the cameras?

STMIT
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, we are. I just returned from vacation and learned that the remote office where they are installed has given up on them and is shipping them back to me. I should receive them on Wednesday, July 31. Once I have them in my possession I will follow up here.

See this Reddit post about the problem, it seems like a recent update has caused these issues:
https://www.reddit.com/r/arlo/comments/cfca37/all_cameras_disconnected/

If this isn't resolved soon, I'm afraid they will be returned and we will have to look at another solution.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@STMIT

When you receive the system, will you be planning to perform a factory reset and test again? I will be happy to help assist you.

STMIT
Tutor
Tutor

This was already done, but I will be doing it again personally. I will follow-up once I've done so.

@ShayneS wrote:

@STMIT

When you receive the system, will you be planning to perform a factory reset and test again? I will be happy to help assist you.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@STMIT

I will be here whenever you are ready.

STMIT
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Shayne,

I received all of the equipment, plugged everything in and all of the cameras connected without issue.

I suspect that the remote office's Internet connection may be the issue. Will the cameras be shown as offline over a slow Internet connection even if the base station is online? I thought that if the base station was communicating (showing as "armed" at all times), it was working. Basically: Cameras >>>>>> Base Station >>>>>> LAN >>>>>> Internet >>>>>> Arlo Servers.

Any thoughts on this?

Mike

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@STMIT

Having a slow Internet connection shouldn't affect the cameras disconnecting, but bad signal, interference very well can (routers close to base station as well).

STMIT
Tutor
Tutor

I'm at a loss then. At the remote location they were within 1-2 feet and would not connect. Their WAP is in a room 20-30 feet away. Maybe it's some kind of EMF interfering, although their WiFi works well.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I would suggest contacting customer support regarding this issue. I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation