Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ARLO PRO 2 VS ARLO WIRELESS

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Jmal91
Aspirant
Aspirant
If somebody can please help me understand this I would love to hear it. So long story short I had the original Arlo wireless camera in my backyard for almost 2 months now and last month I would notice that after 10 seconds of live you or 10 seconds of recording the picture quality would become very very grainy to the point where you couldn't really make out if it was a person or a tree or a car it was that grainy. So I reached out to Arlo support through the chat and the gentleman I spoke with said that they were going to send me a new one because we went through all the tests and verify that the unit was bad. So about a few days later I start noticing my picture quality got much better on the Arlo wireless camera and it wasn't doing that real grainy problem anymore and the videos were recording clear all the way through so I believe they fixed that maybe with a firmware update not quite sure I didn't see anything as far as updates go. So I'm okay with that I'd rather have them just fixed that remotely and have to take my camera down send it out and then wait for them to send me a new one. Which brings me to my next point so I have to Arlo Pro 2 cameras in the front of my house both on 24/7 recording both plugged in in both have 3 bars of service. I have really good wifi but aside from all that my main question is when I zoom in on my Arlo Pro 2 cameras the picture gets extremely grainy and just looks awful in my opinion and even not zooming in even if I just have it in normal to do it still have some grainyness to it. So now where I'm really confused is I feel like sometimes my Arlo wireless camera looks clearer than my Arlo Pro 2 cameras and then when I zoom in the Arlo wireless camera looks so much better instead of it looking grainy it just looks pixelated which I'd rather have that because you can still make out what's in the frame. Anyone has any information on this that maybe I'm not aware of I would love to hear it thank you sorry for such a long post.
First attached photo is Pro 2 and second photo is Arlo wirelese.
2 REPLIES 2
Dannybear
Master
Master
There was a problem with the previous firmware updates that impacted the vmb3000 system that degraded the camera quality. This was addressed with a separate firmware update.
Regards the vmb4000 system’s the last two updates also impacted the quality after the base offline issue appeared and usually gets resolved with a power cycle of the base until it goes offline again.

If you wish to compare resolution to quality then take a snapshot while in live view and compare to the recordings to note that the issue is a result of heavy compression of the video.
Hope this helps.
Jmal91
Aspirant
Aspirant

that is the strange part- my arlo wireless camera got fixed which is awesome- and as of now (fingers crossed) that camera is almost always perfect- with no real lag issues or offline issues- loads up faster... now i know it has less features but it is also working on older software and systems- so now for my two PRO 2 cams- they take forever to load up- the live feed not even zoomed in looks grainy and on my grass it looks like my grass is moving like water would. very strange looking and same goes for night vision. now i feel this got a lot worse in the past 2-3 weeks or so, no one of my BIGGEST issues that i never had before... i get the OFFLINE message way to often now- i used to never get that problem now i get it 3-5 times a day sometimes more, which is beyond unacceptable due to how i pay all this extra money on CVR  and elite plans B.S.  and sometimes my CVR is missing 10 min of recordings and sometimes even 1 hr or 3 hrs which is insane- last night it was missing from 2am to 4.30 am??????? really...  i am very upset with this system now i dont think i will keep these systems.. and the sad part is my base station is about 25 feet from the furthest camera with maybe 2 walls in between and these cameras still always have issues (300 ft hahahhaaha ) false advertisement for sure!!!

also off topic---- now my REOLINK ARGUS PRO (WHICH IS MY FURTHEST CAMERA FROM MY NEWTWORK AREA(65 FT) works wayyyyyyyy better than my ARLO CAMS in almost every aspect other then motion detect is horrible.. 

but no lag at all, night vision is night and day difference, the clearity looks like a true 1080p quality-- so how is that explained?? 

sorry to gripe so much but this is so frustrating that a $80 camera runs circles around my $220.00 cameras.. 

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation