Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

4G Modems with private ISP IP number

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Karlinco
Follower
Follower
Looking to set up Arlo in Uruguay. House has a 4G LTE USB modem plugged into a TP-Link WiFi router. Antel, the national ISP, does not assign public IP numbers to these Modems but rather private IP numbers. So I can't reach any devices at the house remotely and services like ddns will not work. Can Arlo work in this scenario?
1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

One important aspect is that Arlo subscriptions aren't available in Uraguay.

@Karlinco wrote:
 Antel, the national ISP, does not assign public IP numbers to these Modems but rather private IP numbers. So I can't reach any devices at the house remotely and services like ddns will not work. Can Arlo work in this scenario?

It sounds like they are using carrier-grade NAT.  That is becoming more common as ipv4 addresses are depleted.

Arlo should work with that, although I haven't tried it myself.  I do double-route though - which has the same topology - and Arlo does work for me.  However, ddns does work with my setup (since my edge router isn't shared).

I believe Arlo is designed so that the base station always initiates the base->cloud connection - which works with all NAT setups.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation