Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

3 Arlo Pro 2's side by side very different night vision - why?

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
scottmd1
Tutor
Tutor

Hey all, 

Started with an Arlo wireless system and liked it so bought an Arlo Pro 2 add on camera and liked it as well so bought an Arlo Pro 2 - 2 Camera Kit and am very disapointed with the 2 camera kit night vision.  

The attached photos were all taken within the same minute.  Turned one camera on, took a photo and then turned it off and repeated that for all three.

Attached are:

1. Camera 1:  This was the stand alone Arlo Pro 2 - night vision is fine
  2. Camera 2:  This is one of the two in the Arlo Pro 2 kit - washed out night vision
  3. Camera 3:  This is the second of the two in the Arlo Pro 2 kit - washed out night vision

Camera 1 - Stand alone Arlo 2 purchaseCamera 1 - Stand alone Arlo 2 purchaseCamera 2 - Part of the Arlo Pro 2 kitCamera 2 - Part of the Arlo Pro 2 kitCamera 3 - Part of the Arlo Pro 2 kitCamera 3 - Part of the Arlo Pro 2 kit

Since I have both base stations at the moment I hooked them up to both base station with same result.  All three camera's had a software update.  Have taken batteries out.  Have reset them and resync'ed them etc....

No way I can keep the 2 camera kit if this is the result, useless at night time. 

PS,  I have them low to the ground for these test.  When I mount them on the home the two new ones are completly washed out at night.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
scottmd1
Tutor
Tutor

It was 100% the skins - well I'll be.  Took the skins off and they work like the other arlo pro 2.

Should the skins be removed 100% or it was mentioned that they could/should be trimmed?  I will search the forums for some directions on that. 

Thank you again to all 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Can’t see the images in your posting.
scottmd1
Tutor
Tutor

thanks.....is that the same for everyone?  i can see them assumed everyone could?

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Images posted don't appear for quite some time.  A moderator needs to review them first, I believe.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Until we can see the images, I'll just ask - is there something (walls, floor, whatever) that is close to the camera that would be confusing the autoexposure in the camera due to excessive reflected light?

scottmd1
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you all so far.  I have attached a pdf with the three images that should work until the mods approve the inline images. 

To answer your question about the wall - no.  

The only thing I have noticed in regards to a wall is if I bring all three of them inside and put them in a small room like a half bathroom and close the door all three have a similar image.  It is when they are placed outside and the view is of our backyard/deck is where there is an issue.  So they actually work better in a small encolsed room where a wall is close.  

scottmd1
Tutor
Tutor
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I see them from your PDF. this is similar to what others have experienced with the P2 camera which is a result of the higher resolution sensor (higher resolution in the same size package leads to smaller pixels, leading to fewer photons hitting those pixels). It may be that down the road a firmware update can manage enhancement - or not.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

I reviewed your photos.  You said all three cameras are Pro2s.  There is no reason I know why three Pro 2s should look different. I'd suggest the following:

1. Double check that they are all three Pro 2s.  The images look like they could be from one Pro and two Pro 2s.

2. Check the brightness setting on the second two cameras. If the brightness is max'd it could wash out. There is a brightness setting on the live view screen.

3. Make sure there are no skins on the second two cameras. These can cause the washed out look.

4. Make sure all three cameras are at the same firmware level. There was an update recently that improved the Pro 2 night vision.

scottmd1
Tutor
Tutor

JGUERDAT - thank you for the reply.  It does seem this is an issue and clearly one that will have us returning the system as the washed out nature of the night vision is pointless for our application.  

Your reply is appreciated. 

scottmd1
Tutor
Tutor

ST_SHAW

Thank you for your reply and suggestions:

• Pro 2's?:  All three came in an Arlo Pro 2 box - is there sompleace I can check?
  • Brightness setting:  All three camera's are on the same brightness setting '0'.  Changing the brightness in either directoin does not make things better as the "washed out" nature just gets brighter or darker 
  • Skins:  Interesting.  The two washed out Pro 2's have skins on them and the one that was clearer did not have a skin on it.  I will remove the skins and try them this evening.  Hope : ) 
  • Frimware:  All three have 1.125.5.0_17202

Thank you again ST_SHAW

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry - I thought one camera was a Pro, not a Pro 2, explaining the difference. In retrospect, I agree with the skin theory - some folks have trimmed off the hood to solve the issue.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@scottmd1 wrote:

ST_SHAW

Thank you for your reply and suggestions:

• Pro 2's?:  All three came in an Arlo Pro 2 box - is there sompleace I can check?
  • Brightness setting:  All three camera's are on the same brightness setting '0'.  Changing the brightness in either directoin does not make things better as the "washed out" nature just gets brighter or darker 
  • Skins:  Interesting.  The two washed out Pro 2's have skins on them and the one that was clearer did not have a skin on it.  I will remove the skins and try them this evening.  Hope : ) 
  • Frimware:  All three have 1.125.5.0_17202

Thank you again ST_SHAW

The Pro 2s have a white bezel around the front. The Pros have black.  See this page, but you must look closely.  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/default.aspx

That firmware is for Pro 2s, so they must all be 2s.

You problem is almost certainly the skin then. Let us know what happens when you remove the skins.

scottmd1
Tutor
Tutor

It was 100% the skins - well I'll be.  Took the skins off and they work like the other arlo pro 2.

Should the skins be removed 100% or it was mentioned that they could/should be trimmed?  I will search the forums for some directions on that. 

Thank you again to all 

Downunda
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well i'll be... I have a system with all Arlo Pro2 cameras and some are hopeless at night and would you believe it they are the ones with skins fitted. I shall remove them and see what happens.

Thanks, Downunda - Melbourne Australia

Downunda
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm happy to report that after removing the skin on my camera that night performance is now fantastic.  If you have skins fitted and are not happy with the night performance of your cameras try removing the skin.

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Did your skins have “visor” extensions? The newer ones don’t.
scottmd1
Tutor
Tutor

I had the Wasserstein.  I have since returend them as they do not work with the Arlo Pro 2 when the IR is on. At the moment I am skinless.  

713556mEOeL._SL1500_.jpg

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Yes those Wassersteins have visors. The current skins from Arlo don’t have any projections in front.
Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation