Kawijr
Tutor
Tutor

the new update sucks, I want to go back to the old app

6 REPLIES 6
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

There is no way back, you have to now wait for arlo to recognise it’s failure to it’s customers.

The app UI was updated  to coincide with the release of the home security hub product. Arlo has continued to  ignore their existing customer base.   

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

What @DannyBearAgain is saying is true. No way to go back to the old app, and a complete failure with the release of the new app, which is still buggy to the point that it's not usable. I now have some white strip when viewing videos in the landscape mode - the whole point of the landscape mode is to see the video better but now part of the screen is obscured with that strip. Crazy!

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I recently opened my arlo app to see an advert to upgrade the app to the new arlo experience that offered new and improved features with no mention of its failures, I naturally closed it.

I have auto app update disabled on my phone so still have the original experience from last year that still works.

I do find it unsurprising that arlo has recently boasted a 4 million subscriber milestone given the new requirement for multiple location subscriptions.

That’s also in addition to the legacy equipment that has been impacted by ongoing arlo firmware failures being rolled out and customers needing an arlo subscription to access support to keep them operating by the uneducated.

If arlo were serious about their customer base they would have addressed the new app experience failures last year before it was released.

What is further troubling is the subscription price doubling following that app release.

Woe are the customers of today’s arlo technology market.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

@DannyBearAgain good on you to resist the 'new Arlo experience' so far. It actually feels like a plague that one needs to protect themselves from! 

The increase in subscription users - all to please shareholders - is a temp. thing, of course, and I wonder what the CEO will do after that. 

Kawijr
Tutor
Tutor

Stay away as long as you can, it’s garbage

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

I

I have auto app update disabled on my phone so still have the original experience from last year that still works.

FYI, the app has supported both experiences since early 2023.  The experience you get depends on how Arlo has your account configured in their cloud.  So disabling app update doesn't guarantee you won't be migrated by Arlo to "Feed".

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

I do find it unsurprising that arlo has recently boasted a 4 million subscriber milestone given the new requirement for multiple location subscriptions.

Not sure how many users needed to add a subscription for a second home.  Clearly there are some, but IMO the main drivers here are

• no longer offering 7-day cloud storage
  • allowing cameras to be directly connected to home wifi
  • the limitations in direct access to local storage