Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is it legal to record subcontractors?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Pratt
Aspirant
Aspirant

We are building a house about 4 hours from where we live.  We have two Arlo cameras up to monitor the building process and progress.  Is it legal to record video and take pictures of the subcontractors?  Do we have to post anything on the poles that we have the cameras on?

4 REPLIES 4
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Where are you? It probably makes a difference.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Pratt
Aspirant
Aspirant

The house is being built in North Carolina; we live in South Carolina.

Linusl
Luminary
Luminary

North Carolina Security Camera Laws

North Carolina’s Electronic Surveillance Act, which is a shadow of the Federal Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986, prohibits the interception of conversations without the consent of at least one party. This only covers audio interception, which means if your camera isn’t recording any audio, you’re not in trouble. If, on the other hand, your camera records audio and video, be sure to let people know they are being recorded.

Although there are no laws that directly govern the use of cameras that only record video, it doesn’t hurt to be a little cautious. One thing you should be mindful of is whether your cameras are invading people’s privacy or not. If you have cameras positioned outside your house, make sure they are not directly pointed at your neighbor’s window or other private spaces. For your indoor cameras, it is wise to put them where guests can easily see them. It is also strongly recommended that you do not place cameras in bedrooms (even your own) to avoid accidentally spying on someone. And of course, it is important to remember that you’re setting up security cameras for protection, not to watch what your neighbors or guests are doing at night.

StanDyna
Aspirant
Aspirant
We have our 2 Arlo Go cameras on every job site to watch over the property while it’s in our hands to complete the work and also to watch over any material/tools left on the job. We’ve made a few police reports where Arlo catches the intruders on video, so in Kentucky it’s completely legal. I don’t blame you at all wanting to have them while your not able to physically check on your property. Good thing is when they steal your camera (they have mine), the goofballs don’t realize their still on camera 🙂 Great idea. Totally support arlo on subs and I am a GC, so whether on me or my subs I think it’s great!
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation