Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
gilbertaz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, so I am looking at buying the Arlo go and I don't know whether to go with the arlo smart plan or to just bundle it with my existing Verizon account, I was talking to my Verizon rep and he was asking how many gigs approx will it use monthly, I have no idea. Now I do understand that the gigs will increase with more live viewing and will also vary with traffic so my question I guess is as an estimation how much data will it use just generally and then further how much data (in gigs) are included with the arlo plans that vary from 15min /month to 120 to 255min a month. I called arlo support and they have no idea what they are talking about so... im stumped any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The length of your recordings would be all-telling. A 15 minute plan would allow 15 one minute recordings or 90 ten second recordings. Add in live viewing and you can see it disappears quickly.

There's an FAQ here on how much data is streamed according to different resolution settings. I think it's a bit optimistic but it's a start. I just downloaded a 20 second video with the camera set at Best Quality (720p) and it was 3.23MB. YMMV.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @gilbertaz,

I have attached an article here that may help with the data usage.

How much bandwidth and storage space do Arlo videos use?

gilbertaz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is that for the arlo go or for the whole arlo system?  and if it is for the whole system does that change if you add more cameras?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While there are differences between various cameras, the specs listed above are for the cameras at 720p like the Go. They might be a bit low depending on exactly how you configure and use your system but it's a reasonable estimate. The numbers are per camera, not as a system.

Bradgt82
Aspirant
Aspirant

So what does it cost to run Arlo Go on Verizon data plan network??  Anyone have any idea what this will cost?  I need to get one of these and there is no info on data usage or cost with verizon.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @Bradgt82,

You will need to refer to Verizon to see how much that data will cost when having the Arlo Go on your Verizon plan. You can view about it here: Arlo Go Mobile Security Camera - Verizon Wireless

gilbertaz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I understand that Verizon will be able to price the data but that's not really my question. My question is how much data does arlo use?  not how much is that data going to cost.  A really easy answer for this question would be to see how much data in Gigabytes is in each of the arlo mobile data plans. like for the 15-minute plan, how many gigs is that actually using?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The length of your recordings would be all-telling. A 15 minute plan would allow 15 one minute recordings or 90 ten second recordings. Add in live viewing and you can see it disappears quickly.

There's an FAQ here on how much data is streamed according to different resolution settings. I think it's a bit optimistic but it's a start. I just downloaded a 20 second video with the camera set at Best Quality (720p) and it was 3.23MB. YMMV.

gilbertaz
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat Thanks!!! that is very helpful! 

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation