Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
robcam55
Follower
Follower

Is anybody aware of any existing data or conducted any research on how the Arlo Go or Go 2 compares to using a standard LTE game camera? I would like to determine if using a LTE smart camera would be more cost effective and advantageous than a standard LTE game camera.  I.E., how well does the people detection remove "false positives" and at what distance? It is cheaper in the long run using a solar panel rather than changing out the batteries on a game camera? Is it more or less effective during the nighttime? 

2 REPLIES 2
lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

As far as I know, all the Cellular Game Cameras I looked at only provide you with snapshots in email and no video.You can store data on sd cards but you obviously need to collect it. Also even the snapshots are not normally realtime but 

hourly or daily etc. If you ave good with that, there are some game cameras that provide one master cellular camera and the rest linked via radio for watching large areas. They are not really an good for security, in my opinion.

hnatt
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have been using five Arlo Go (originals) for almost 2 years to monitor game (deer and hogs) on our ranch. They all use the solar power panels. They work great although I had to warranty replace two of the panels due to water infusion. They are the older/original models so I’m assuming the new ones are better. Also, the older/original cameras didn’t have the magnetic power attachments like the newer so I used silicone seal to prevent water issues.

But they work great for game. Much more expensive than game cameras but since I have Arlo cameras for my home, I like keeping everything in one place.

I mount them on t-post and use SMALLRIG clamp/mounts (Amazon) to mount both the camera and solar panel onto the t-posts.

No more false positives than regular Arlos or designated game cams. Since you can adjust as needed, I haven’t had any problems. Night vision is fine and I’ve seen some amazing bucks that I never knew we had. If you really want to light up the area, you could always rig an auxiliary IR flood light (again, see Amazon) to some other solar power setup. These IR floods have a day/night sensor so you aren’t wasting juice during the day.

Again, expensive but darn good!
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation