Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
pigsnout
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just got a new router from verizon and I think it it only has 5mgz. How can I get my camera to work with it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pigsnout wrote:

Huh. 2.4 does not come up as an option on my phone. My last router gave me a choice of hooking up with the 2 or the 5. Do you happen to know how I can force my phone to pick  show the 2.4 sign up? 

Older routers provided different network names for each radio, but most newer routers use a single network name for all channels.

I don't own this router, but page 44 of the manual gives you a way to disable the 5 ghz radios.  If you do that, the phone will have to use 2.4 ghz.  https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/content/dam/verizon/support/consumer/documents/internet/fio...

You would then re-enable the radios after setup is complete.

@pigsnout wrote:

I get the chime sound but the search step fails.

Two things to try before you start changing router settings:

• Make sure you are selecting the Essential Spotlight camera when you add the device (assuming your camera has a spotlight).  If you select the wrong model, the onboarding will fail.
  • Try using a PC (browse to my.arlo.com) to add the camera.  That sometimes will succeed when the app fails.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pigsnout wrote:

I just got a new router from verizon and I think it it only has 5mgz.

Unlikely.  What router model?

pigsnout
Aspirant
Aspirant

vmc2030

pigsnout
Aspirant
Aspirant

essential vmc2030

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

What router did you get from verizon?

pigsnout
Aspirant
Aspirant
pigsnout
Aspirant
Aspirant

Maybe get verizon to swap my router is easiest solution.?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pigsnout wrote:

model # G3100

That is  a triband router - with one 2.4 ghz radio and two 5 ghz radios.

So it does have 2.4 ghz wifi.

pigsnout
Aspirant
Aspirant

Huh. 2.4 does not come up as an option on my phone. My last router gave me a choice of hooking up with the 2 or the 5. Do you happen to know how I can force my phone to pick  show the 2.4 sign up? I get the chime sound but the search step fails.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pigsnout wrote:

Huh. 2.4 does not come up as an option on my phone. My last router gave me a choice of hooking up with the 2 or the 5. Do you happen to know how I can force my phone to pick  show the 2.4 sign up? 

Older routers provided different network names for each radio, but most newer routers use a single network name for all channels.

I don't own this router, but page 44 of the manual gives you a way to disable the 5 ghz radios.  If you do that, the phone will have to use 2.4 ghz.  https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/content/dam/verizon/support/consumer/documents/internet/fio...

You would then re-enable the radios after setup is complete.

@pigsnout wrote:

I get the chime sound but the search step fails.

Two things to try before you start changing router settings:

• Make sure you are selecting the Essential Spotlight camera when you add the device (assuming your camera has a spotlight).  If you select the wrong model, the onboarding will fail.
  • Try using a PC (browse to my.arlo.com) to add the camera.  That sometimes will succeed when the app fails.
pigsnout
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you so much for your time Stephan B! I really appreciate it.

pigsnout
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Stephen. I am all set up! I think I was choosing Essential instead of w/ spotlight. Thanks for the thought probes. - Andy

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pigsnout wrote:

I am all set up! 

Great!