Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ridicules amount of motion alerts

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
arlo-user-19
Follower
Follower

i have an Arlo essential camera in the garden, motion detection works as it should, but when i or my wife decide to go and sit in the garden, there is a rediicules amount of motion alerts, unless you sit there without any movement

now i can reduce the amount of alerts to 60 or 30 per hour, by setting the fixed record time to 1 or 2 minutes, but that's not really a fix, all the motion it detected is valid, so no point to adjust the sensitivity, or area

why cannot Arlo see that 15 seconds after the first alert is there, there is another one, so that is probably the same person, and doesn't alert me again, or that you have the possibility to set the max amount of alerts, like 1 every 30 minutes, 1 alert is good enough for me, so i know there is an event and i can go look in the app, 250 Alerts is too many, and i'm thinking of switching the alerts off, cause it drives my crazy, but that misses the point of having an Arlo in the first place

John

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@arlo-user-19 wrote:

i have an Arlo essential camera in the garden, motion detection works as it should, but when i or my wife decide to go and sit in the garden, there is a rediicules amount of motion alerts, unless you sit there without any movement

Yes, of course.  If someone were prowling in the garden, that's what you'd want.

There is a control in the app that mutes notifications that you could use - it's quite easy.

While you do need to have your phone handy to mute the notifications, they will resume automatically.  You will still get all the recordings which you likely don't want, and which will reduce your battery life.  

Another strategy that could work for you (depending on exactly where you are sitting) is to set up activity zones to exclude the area you sit in.  That will supress both notifications and recordings when you are sitting in the excluded area, but you would still get notifications arnd recordings when you go out in.  This would be fully automatic, and not require you to enable/disable anything in the app.  Note that that motion detection and video streaming is still happening when you are sitting - its just surpressed.  So this won't affect your battery life.

To maximize battery life, and eliminate unwanted recordings and notifications, you'd need to disarm the camera when you go out (and rearm it when you go back in).  This is completely manual.