Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

essential camera QR code times out

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Russlayton
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently got a new Rogers modem.

I went into internal settings and turned off 5g. I removed the essentials off my arlo account, but now can’t add them… QR times out.

I tried turning off my cell data on my phone when QR scanning. Is there a way to add the cameras to the “devices” list on modem?? Or any other suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Russlayton wrote:

Or any other suggestions?

Do you have punctuation or other special characters in network name or password?  If you do, try removing them.

Also, make sure the WiFi security is set to WPA2 (AES).

Russlayton
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is a place in advance settings to add a device, but need to know MAC address do the essential spotlights have a MAC address?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Russlayton wrote:

do the essential spotlights have a MAC address?

They do (all wifi devices have one).  But I don't know off hand how to find it on the essential.

Have you looked in the router's attached device list for the camera after you hear the chime?

Russlayton
Aspirant
Aspirant

No special characters in name

WP security confirmed.

will try to scan QR and see if pops up in list

Russlayton
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did not go ….

also… Rogers have locked out the ability to change your own SSID

i have a dash in my network name… is this a special character 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Russlayton wrote:

i have a dash in my network name… is this a special character 

Not sure what characters interfere with Arlo onboarding (and it might have changed since the issue was first reported).

But I did mean spaces, punctuation, characters with accents, ...

@Russlayton wrote:

Rogers have locked out the ability to change your own SSID

Can you set up a guest network on the Rogers?  If you can, you could onboard the camera to the guest network (connecting your phone to it instead of your normal wifi).

Another thing you could try is onboarding using a PC (logging in to my.arlo.com).  That sometimes works when the phone app fails.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you've removed the camera from your account and you're trying to resync, you will first need to factory reset the device. Follow the instructions here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062438/How-do-I-factory-reset-and-re-sync-my-Arlo-camera

JamesC

Russlayton
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James…. Yes… did that option too.

I have a first gen and 2nd Gen Arlo essential camera…. Both won’t sync

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Russlayton,

If neither camera will sync this isolates the problem to your home network. I encourage you to reach out to Arlo support to further investigate the issue. You can find support options under Settings > Support to open a ticket.

JamesC