Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

You have real bug with battery life counter. Or bad battery?

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
ROL-X
Guide
Guide

Hello.

Here is what I noticed today.

On one of my cameras Battery level dropped from 73% to 13% in last 4 hours. Start continuously receiving notifications about low battery level.

Last charged about a 2 weeks ago and as normal operation dropped to 73%  within 2 weeks, looks normal.

More details if you needed. Camera is disarmed all day today. No detections, Wi-Fi in range of 15-20 ft, full bars, strong signal.

That not a first time. I have a 3-pack cameras. Had same issue on another camera before didn't noticed as a bug, just charged again. That camera still keep ~60% since last recharge over 1 month.

Maybe is a bug in firmware or any other things that calculate charge level. Or something really load a camera that discharge a battery really fast.

26 REPLIES 26
ROL-X
Guide
Guide

While I'm create this post battery level is dropped from 13% to 8% in 30 minutes.

Look like camera will shut down in next hour.

You have to add Reboot action in your app to rebooting camera and restore normal operation in case if it's lagging or if something going wrong.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

How much video streaming is the camera doing (approx minutes per day)?  Note that if you have activity zones enabled, you need to disable them to see this - the cloud supresses video that is out of the zone.

Also, are there any signs of lost connections (failure to live stream for instance)?  Restoring dropped connections can take a lot of power.

If those are ruled out, then it could certainly be a bad battery on this particular camera. So you could contact support (using the support link at the top right of the forum page).  

@ROL-X wrote:

While I'm create this post battery level is dropped from 13% to 8% in 30 minutes.

FWIW, most devices are looking at the output voltage to estimate battery charge.  When the battery is nearly full, this drops very slowly, but then drops very sharply as the battery approaches empty - so it isn't very accurate when the charge level is low.  The voltage also depends on temperature, so if the ambient temp is changing, that might effect the estimate.

ROL-X
Guide
Guide

Hello. The camera doing approx. 10-15 motion detections per day. (My dog on backyard) and 1 activity zone. Almost full screen coverage, just avoided neighbors activity (not many).

Signal and connection is excellent. Never noticed a lost of signal. Except that day when camera had a troubles. Since i start getting messages about low battery level I can't start live stream on camera. Once I click a play button on camera, app shows me camera is offline and then restore connection immediately.

How i said camera is completely drain battery and down within an hour.

It's already recharged and running good so far.

For me it's looks like an software bug is overload camera and drain battery.

There is suggestion to add Reboot Option to camera software.

Another thing is continuous notifications about this. All over I'm received more than 200 emails and notifications on my phone. App was updated to latest version.

Fix it. I don't think i need get a notification every second about my low battery.

Thanks.

suzeo99
Star
Star

Chiming in to say I have the same bug with the same behavior with two cameras that started immediately after a firmware update (I charged them and update firmware on different days and the second one was fine until I also charged and updated its firmware).  Please roll back the firmware ARLO.

anders1701
Tutor
Tutor
I've also had this happen to me overnight. Drop from around 80% to 13%. The camera lost its connection, which I assumed was the cause of the huge battery loss, but perhaps not?

I reset the closest (~2 meters away) WiFi mesh station and then maybe an hour or two later the camera reconnected. At that point I got spammed with 50+ low battery warnings both on email and app. Only stopped after I rebooted camera.

The camera is only a couple of months old.
Screenshot_2021-08-24-17-11-46-952_org.kman.AquaMail.jpg
Triumphs
Tutor
Tutor

Thats also happened to my camera.  Also losing WiFi connection and in the middle of the night every 10 sec notifications. I charged the camera, syced it and after a day (less than 24 hours) I did get notification that the battery was 13%. Charged it again could get no more than 98% and this morning looked the app again and it was on 100%. Strange behavior. The camera was only on during the night. From 01.00 until 8.50. ANd my camera is only 1.5 moths old. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Two new firmware updates were just released for Arlo Essential and Arlo Essential Spotlight Cameras.

Please test again now that these releases are available and let me know if you're still experiencing the same issue.

JamesC

Triumphs
Tutor
Tutor

It seems for now ok  in 1 day battery from 100% to 99%. Just fingers crossed.

What is strange I looked what firmware and search for the firmaware today. And the are the same. Does the camera auto load new firmware?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Triumphs,

Yes. Firmware updates are automatic.

JamesC

anders1701
Tutor
Tutor
What firmware version(s) should we be looking for please? Will it install automatically if the battery is low?

Mine shows 1.090.27.0_8_620e159
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

anders1701,

Depending on your camera model, you can find the latest versions here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

If the battery is low, the update may not complete. You may need to leave your camera on the charger overnight to ensure the firmware update completes automatically.

JamesC

anders1701
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks, I'm still on the 2nd August version. Looks like I'm getting the ladder out.
ROL-X
Guide
Guide
My Essential cameras seems ok.

Anyway. I have another 3 pack of Arlo pro 4.
Two days ago I got 2 of 3 cameras dropped to 13% almost at same time, around 2:00. Both cameras goes offline, and start sending low battery messages to app and email. More than 500 messages. In 1 hour.
I have no access to that cameras. To stop receiving messages i had to logoff from app, and wait until all cameras is dead. Of course cameras not working that time, no detections no recordings.

Main thing is not only essential cameras specific bug. Pro4 have same issue for sure. I didn’t start same topic in pro4 discussions just letting you know here.
Triumphs
Tutor
Tutor
Again the camera is offline, 28 hours it was ok but now it is gone again.
Triumphs
Tutor
Tutor

I am sorry it waas the Arlon wireless frontdoor/bel camera which is no offline. It is now above the other in lline in the app that was a little confusing

anders1701
Tutor
Tutor
Is there really no way to force the camera to check. When I tap on the firmware version it says "no updates available". Is that message just for show, or does my camera have another problem?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@anders1701 wrote:
Is there really no way to force the camera to check. When I tap on the firmware version it says "no updates available". Is that message just for show, or does my camera have another problem?

What firmware version are you seeing in device info?

anders1701
Tutor
Tutor
Hi, it shows 1.090.27.0_8_620e159
Thanks.

Screenshot_2021-08-30-20-04-25-661_com.arlo.app.jpg
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@anders1701 wrote:
it shows 1.090.27.0_8_620e159

Then you have the most recent firmware for the Essential Spotlight Camera (VMC2030).  You can see the most recent firmware for every camera by looking here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes.  That post says that the firmware was released on 2 August 2021.

anders1701
Tutor
Tutor
Latest version was released on 24th of August for VMC2030
https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Essential-Spotlight-Camera-VMC2030-1-090-2...

Anyway, I gave up waiting, took the camara off charge and put it back up. The fireware updated overnight.

No idea why it reported no update available.
Mrtez
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have same issue. Camera keeps losing connection to internet, losing battery suddenly, and I keep getting notifications (like 30 in less than 5 minutes) that battery is low. This happened after automatic update of firmware. Please go back to old one at end of July. No need for updates that are causing issues. I lost all connection to my camera during my entire vacation leaving house unsecured.
ROL-X
Guide
Guide

FIX your bugs!!!

Latest firmware didn't help and didn't fix any bugs.

Same issues still persist.

Dropped to 13% today. Two of 3 cameras at same time. What a magic number is 13%?

Cameras goes offline!

Most ridiculous thing is notifications!!!

Started and continue receiving TONS and TONS E-MAILS and notifications about low battery!!!

No way to stop these notifications except to logoff from app.

Laggy software, buggy cameras.

Enough! Start working on this major issue!!!

Fix it or I have no way to keep and use your buggy cameras!

Will return to BestBuy as defective or RMA with cancellation of service and reimbursement!

KetMalice
Initiate
Initiate
I’m having the same issues. I’m on the latest firmware of 27.3. I’m sick of this. I’ve removed them from the account and readded them every day for 2 weeks. And fully charged. I’m paying for the Arlo subscription also. The cameras are unusable and I’ve had to start deleting the app from my phone before I go to bed so I don’t get spammed with email and notifications through the night.
suzeo99
Star
Star

Agreed - cameras were working fine until July firmware update, now the battery life has tanked, dozens of notifications of low battery and going off line every 2-3 days if they stay charged that long.  Can you roll back to the June 2021 firmware!  Also about to cancel my subscription as these cameras are now almost useless after 6 months of working perfectly (Dec-June).  Please fix these bugs or roll back the firmware!!!!