Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

WiFi extender installation question

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Mwuich
Tutor
Tutor

I purchased an essentials camera for my parking lot. It’s a little out of my WiFi range so I bought a WiFi extender. Once I install the extender, do I need to do anything else to get my arlo camera to make use of it? I will put them both on the same 2.4 ghz network, but I wasn’t sure if there was something also I had to do like add the device ( the extender) in the Arlo app or pair them somehow. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 

Mike 

6 REPLIES 6
Lauren69
Aspirant
Aspirant

WiFi extenders can, in fact, expand the range of your wireless network. But their effectiveness is limited by a host of factors, including the speed of the internet connection coming into your home, the distance from your router, the areas in your home in need of WiFi coverage, and the WiFi demands of your family.

EmployeeConnection.net Insite

RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I just got my system going and bought a Netgear Wifi extender.  "AC1900 Wifi Mesh Extender....essentials edition" is the particular style I got. 

Didn't have to do anything to the router except plug it in and have it in the same room as the wifi router itself during setup (so it has no trouble making a wireless connection and linking)... it takes care of everything else and broadcasts on the same "channel" as the router. It's automatic. Basically, a "range extender" is just a radio signal repeater... it just repeats what's put in it.

You should download a "Wifi analyzer" app from google store onto your phone... after you figure out the features of it and what you're looking at... you can see your signal strength in different locations.... pretty neat.

Mwuich
Tutor
Tutor

Sounds good. Thanks for the reply!

RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I stepped outside with my phone on "wifi analyzer" and took measurements at each of the loctation where there is a camera mounted. Distances range from 25 feet, 45 feet and approximately 65+ feet from the extender signal source. All measurements are approximate.
  Looking at the pictures, the top line of the list is the extender... what I'm running off of.  The lower the number in the blue circle, the better.
The -77 is at the cam farthest away, -66 is the 60' and the -43 is the 25'. Standing right by the wifi extender, the number gets right down to -29. Like I said.... the smaller the number the better.

Just fyi.... the 2nd and 3rd lines are the signal from the actual wifi router/modem in the house. The signal still gets out of the house....but is too weak to reliably make these things work. To tell the truth, I haven't really tried them without the extender running.

aa...jpgaa...-crop.jpgaa....jpg

Mwuich
Tutor
Tutor

So what you are saying is that all your cameras work with the use of the extender? 

RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes... but there seem to be gremlins that will cause them to go off line, or not respond to commands~ but I don't know enough to declare that it's poor wifi signal or something on there end causing them to freeze up or quit working. It probably is wifi related... because I've not really had a whole lot of trouble with the ones closest to the house.