Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Solar Panel Damaged..it still WORKS!!!

Discussion stats
  • 0 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation
RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have some rather sketchy neighbors, thus the camera system. I started out using trail cameras scattered out around the area.. taking videos and stills that were stored on SD cards in the cameras... had to retrieve them, put the card in a reader and view the results on the desktop screen. I saw lots of stuff. When I got these Arlo cams and saw what I was missing.. it was a game changer.

Since I've recently been able to extend the distance from the house that the wifi signal can reach the cameras, using a Netgear "Wireless Access Point", I mounted some of the cameras all the way out by the alley (that's where all the action is)... it's probably a good 100 feet.
  I mounted the camera waaay up on the telephone pole, out of the reach of passerby...and I also put a solar panel up there with it to keep it charged. The panel is up even higher than the camera. Well, I've had a few run-ins with my immediate next door neighbor about cameras. He's a petty thief, does a little drug trafficking (I think) and has made it known to me that he "doesn't like cameras... I don't want anyone watching me." I told him "I'm not watching you, just keeping an eye on the area." 
  Well, I've had 2 trail cameras come up missing in the past... I know he was responsible for that, but can't prove it.
  We had a big windstorm the other night.. I thought the roof was going to come off my house, lol.
  The next morning I go out back and, as I walked past, I glanced up at the pole mounted system and it looked like the solar panel was damaged. Couldn't really tell for sure, so I got some binoculars and stood down below and looked up at it...and, sure enough... the glass was shattered. I thought "maybe the wind blew something into it". I got an extension ladder and climbed up to look. This is what I found... a direct hit, by either a BB or a 22. It didn't go all the way through...that's what makes me suspect BB gun. The impact is directly opposite the point on the back where the base mounts to the panel, so it's pretty thick right there.
  So, to remedy that I got a piece of Lexan and formed it so it could hook over the top of the panel and hang down, I drilled some holes in it so I could wire it down tight to hold it in place. This serves two purposes: to protect it from rainwater infiltration of the solar cells, and to resist any more projectiles. Lexan it tough!
  I did some thinking, and I've ascertained that the sketchy neighbor stood on the upstairs deck and shot at the panel. He lives up in that room with the sliding glass door. The one view shows the back of their house. It's a direct line of sight to that panel. The camera itself is blocked from his view by the garage roof...lucky for me. 
  The pictures show the damaged panel, the Lexan panel installed...and the back of his house.
  FYI... the panel still works, even with that damage. It's a Wasserstein brand panel.

panel1.jpgpanel2.jpgpanel3.jpg

0 REPLIES 0