No Synology integration

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
williw
Tutor
Tutor

Seen an Arlo Essential at some friends place and immediatly ordered a 4 camera system.

To late I found out that I can not use my synology raid with it.

The system is going to be returned. I wanted to buy good hardware and not expensive cloud storage from a company who is not satified with the sale of there equipment alone. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have both the VMB4540 and VMB5000 hubs in use. I prefer the 4540 due to use of a USB drive which I find is easier to eject than the 5000's microSD card. Any 16GB drive or larger can be used. A 32-64GB thumb drive holds a lot of videos and is pretty cheap these days.

Note that your cameras would need to be removed from your account and connected to the hub for this to work - all data has to pass through the hub.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I used a Python script some years ago that would download the cloud videos to store on my NAS but 2FA broke it. I now have almost all cameras connected to a SmartHub which is set up to record locally. Once a month I eject the drive and copy over all videos to my NAS to archive them. It's a manual process but it is minimally a problem and only takes a few minutes.

YMMV.

williw
Tutor
Tutor

We do not need the recordings stored longer than one week. The cameras would be setup to record only by movement, no big files. What kind of SmartHub are you using? Thank you for your time and help

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have both the VMB4540 and VMB5000 hubs in use. I prefer the 4540 due to use of a USB drive which I find is easier to eject than the 5000's microSD card. Any 16GB drive or larger can be used. A 32-64GB thumb drive holds a lot of videos and is pretty cheap these days.

Note that your cameras would need to be removed from your account and connected to the hub for this to work - all data has to pass through the hub.

williw
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you, your solution works for me. Small investment and no monthly fees. I really like the quality from Arlo cameras