Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
oldgranola
Tutor
Tutor

I purchased the arlo essential spot camara on amazon even though it had internal non-replaceable battery because it was advertised to last 6-months. It does not. It barely even lasts one week. Since I have to climb up a ladder to take it down and charge (thereby not having a camera up) it is a major pain to not last as advertised. I am very dissatisfied and wish I had not purchased it. What is the problem with this camera or your advertising? your assertions and the product should match

5 REPLIES 5
dcfox1
Master
Master

The 6 month life is in a perfect world. It is rated as 5 minutes of recording/live streaming a day, I know that is low. If you have a lot of activity it will drain faster. You can try to reposition it to limit unwanted recordings like a busy street.  I have a 4 Pro3 and get about 2 month out of it. More on the less active cam.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

OP, how many recordings of what length are you getting per day? Are you using live view a lot? Have you considered using a solar panel to charge the battery to make it last longer?

oldgranola
Tutor
Tutor

I see. Thanks for the replies which seem consistent between. Yes it is a high activity area which is why I even want the camera in the first place. So it appears then that the camera is no different from the others in that respect other than I have to take it down to charge instead of the more convenient method of removing a battery and replacing with an already charged one, which I was doing once a week with the previous Pro that finally died of water damage. Thus I obviously purchased the wrong camera with this 'essential' version. Anyone want to buy it from me?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@oldgranola wrote:

Thus I obviously purchased the wrong camera with this 'essential' version. 

It sounds like it.  Part of the puzzle is that Arlo decided to reduce the recording minutes/day assumptions in their battery life specs a while back. 

If you are in a high-activity area, then consider a camera that accepts the extended life battery (Pro 3, Pro 4, Ultra).  It's considerably larger.  Not sure if the standard dual-charging station will charge the XL battery though.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@oldgranola  As suggested you can try a solar panel but it is a trickle charger and may not keep up in a high activity area but you can try. AC power would work but I don't think there is an outdoor cord for Essential, someone  correct me if I am wrong. . The cams suggested above would be good with AC power. On Pro3 I have a spare so I just swap the Battery.