Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How do I turn off motion activated notifications

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Truth2121
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have camera in the family room and I set the activity zone in far right of the room near the top of the room. I still keep receiving motions notifications. How do I fix it where I don’t get notifications from this camera?
10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Truth2121 wrote:
I have camera in the family room and I set the activity zone in far right of the room near the top of the room. I still keep receiving motions notifications. How do I fix it where I don’t get notifications from this camera?

If you don't want motion recordings either (likely if you are trying to do this with activity zones), then just disarm the camera. 

If the camera is connected via wifi to your home network, then go into the "modes" section of the app, select the camera, and then choose the built in  "disarmed" mode.

If you are using a base/smarthub, then you create a custom mode that doesn't include a mode for the camera.

https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

Truth2121
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am using a base station. 

Still not working:  This is what I did-

1.  I added a mode. Gave the mode a name,

2. choose the trigger device,

3.  when motion is detected is checked, 

4. motion settings is at 1 for sensitivity,

5. then under devices, the correct cam is checked,

6. then unchecked record video and activate siren in the action screen,

7. unchecked email alerts and push notifications,

8. but the summary screen doesn't allow me to save it.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Truth2121 wrote:

I am using a base station. 

Still not working:  This is what I did-

1.  I added a mode. Gave the mode a name,

2. choose the trigger device,

3.  when motion is detected is checked, 

4. motion settings is at 1 for sensitivity,

5. then under devices, the correct cam is checked,

6. then unchecked record video and activate siren in the action screen,

7. unchecked email alerts and push notifications,

8. but the summary screen doesn't allow me to save it.  

Are you doing this in the app, or in my.arlo.com?  I am seeing also this problem in my.arlo.com ( hopefully @JamesC or another mod will investigate). 

There is a simple work around.  Leave push notifications checked, then save the mode.  After that, you go back and edit the mode, and you can uncheck push notifications and save it again.

BTW, on step 6 - did you check "do nothing"? (I'm guessing yes).  On step 2, you should choose the family room camera as the trigger device.

Also, if cameras aren't included in the mode, they are disarmed when that mode is active.  So you'll need to add back any cameras you want armed in this custom mode.  A simpler way to get there is to leave the familyroom camera out altogether.

Truth2121
Apprentice
Apprentice

thank you for your help.
I am doing this on the Arlo app on my iPhone.

Step 6 - Action - has two options - Record Video or Activate Siren  - I unchecked record video and activate the 211 (1).jpg211 (3).jpg211 (2).jpgsiren.

workaround - I did leave push notifications checked and saved the mode.  When I went back to edit the mode and uncheck push notifications the save button is gray and doesn't let you save it.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Truth2121 wrote:

I am doing this on the Arlo app on my iPhone.

Step 6 - Action - has two options - Record Video or Activate Siren  - I unchecked record video and activate the siren.

workaround - I did leave push notifications checked and saved the mode.  When I went back to edit the mode and uncheck push notifications the save button is gray and doesn't let you save it.

I tested it with my.arlo.com (not using the app).  Step 6 gave me the option to "do nothing", and the workaround did work.

You said above you are using a base station.  How many other cameras are connected to it?  Are you wanting to keep those other cameras armed (providing notifications and recordings)?

Truth2121
Apprentice
Apprentice

Okay, I see the issue.  I have 2 other cameras connected to the base station and yes I want to continue to keep those armed.  

Truth2121
Apprentice
Apprentice
What do I do with the other two cameras that are attached to the base station that I want to still receive notifications from?

Will the family cam “motion” event still show up in the library on the app with turned off?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Truth2121 wrote:

Okay, I see the issue.  I have 2 other cameras connected to the base station and yes I want to continue to keep those armed.  

Ok.

Then create a new custom mode that has rules for those two cameras - but no rule for the family room camera.  That should save ok (either in the app, or my.arlo.com).  When you use that rule, the family room camera will be disarmed.  You'll still be able to livestream whenever you like.

Truth2121
Apprentice
Apprentice

I set a custom mode for each of the 3 cameras attached to the base station but only one mode has the green dot next to it.  How do I activate the other 2 modes?image1.jpg

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

You can only choose one mode for a base station at a time.  I suggested creating one mode that includes two rules (one for each of the two cameras you want to keep armed).

Enable that mode, and you'll get the behavior you want.   The family room camera will be disarmed, because there is no rule for it.  https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them