Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
MrSL81
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello I am from Ireland and own an Arlo spotlight camera VMC2010EUS camera, I installed it in front of the house and after about 4-5 months it stopped working and charging, When I shake the camera I could hear the water inside so I decided to open it and emptied about 1-2 table spoon of water from the inside of the care( WHICH SUPPOSE TO BE WATERPROOF), dried it carefully but still did work at all.

Customer support sends me a replacement but now I am afraid to put it outside again so what can I do to prevent it from water damage? I heard that sealing it with silicone grease helps to stop water from entering but wanted to ask your advice if that is a good idea or I am also thinking about sealing it with glue gun 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MrSL81 wrote:

so I decided to open it and emptied about 1-2 table spoon of water from the inside of the case

How did you open it?  The case is supposed to be completely sealed (no removable battery in the Essential cameras).

@MrSL81 wrote:

I heard that sealing it with silicone grease helps to stop water from entering 

That's a more common solution with the other cameras (sealing the O-ring, and/or the charging port area).

One option is to get a rain cover. 

A silicone skin might also help.

MrSL81
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you StephenB,

It was very easy and simple to open them, there are 2 screws you need one t5 screwdriver for the very back of the camera. when you look at the screw hole for mounting you will see a t5 screw smiling there for you to take out. another one is a small Philips screw is under the charging port sealing(under the QRcode) barcode when you lift it you will see the screw if you remove both screws the bottom part of the camera comes off very easily and you will see 2 batteries in it.  I decided to open it because I was able to hear a water sound so wanted to drain the water and dry it, but unfortunately, did not help.

I will use the grease and also a silicone case before I put it up again, I know it is advertised as waterproof but maybe my one was a defective model or it just cannot handle the wet weather in Ireland.