Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Zid
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have 3 Essential cameras, 2 of which are spot light ones. They do not reconnect to internet automatically after an internet outage which has happened a lot lately. I have been told by customer support that these are suppose to reconnect and also that they are not suppose to reconnect. Which is it?

Does anyone have Essential cameras that automatically reconnect after an internet outage?

Are there other models that will reconnect after an internet outage?
3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are the cameras connecting via WiFi or via a hub? Either way they should automatically connect but sometimes rebooting the router and then any Arlo devices clears the issue.

Zid
Aspirant
Aspirant

They are connected via WiFi. I just called and discussed this again with a customer service rep and they made it sound like the best option would be to get a smart hub to connect them to so if my WiFi goes out and the cameras do not automatically reconnect, I could restart the smart hub remotely if I have it plugged into a smart plug (which I already have). I think I'll give the cameras another week here and test out rebooting my router to see if they reconnect automatically or not. 

If they do not automatically reconnect, do you think adding a smart hub with a smart plug would work for any future outages?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's certainly an option and has been suggested for quite some time. I have the idea that the hubs aren't as susceptible as the older bases to have issues with the base becoming ready before the router, causing the connection to the servers to fail. A better choice, in my estimation, would be to use a UPS for your modem and router (and hub if you get one) so your network remains up and working during any outages. There could still be an issue with loss of Internet I suppose but that seems unlikely. The smart switch would be more icing on the cake.

BTW, your previous loss of Internet doesn't affect your WiFi - it only affects getting to anything outside your house.