Essential Outdoor Cameras and Solar Panels NOT charging

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
PrettyPeso
Aspirant
Aspirant

I originally started with 2 Essential Cameras and 2 solar panels mounted outside (we'll call them camera 1 and camera 2 for the purpose of this inquiry).  Both worked and charged phenomenally! No issues whatsoever!  I recently purchased a 3rd camera and another solar panel.  I ended up taking down camera 2 because I wanted to take the skin off and put it on my 3rd camera as it was going to be mounted really high.  Once I took down camera 2 (that had been working with no issues) and put it back up and re attached the solar panel it wouldn't stay charged.  At the same time the 3rd camera was fully charged, connected to the solar panel and worked great.  What I noticed is that camera 3 also won't stay charged.  

Both cameras (camera 2 and the 3rd camera) died and I brought them in and charged them through the USB. When I mounted both cameras fully charged and reconnected to the solar panels, they were working, no problems.  I checked the app and it showed all camera's working and the battery symbol shows them charging.   

Then the 3rd camera died again, because the solar panels are not charging, even though the app says it is.....I have absolutely no idea why.  As well, camera 2 is doing the same exact thing.  I have unplugged and plugged back the solar panels but I can't figure out how to fix this solar panels NOT charging the cameras.  

*Camera 1 & 2 were purchased in November 2020

*3rd Camera was purchased May 2021

Any suggestions to assist would be GREATLY appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A few things here from personal experience:

- Try cleaning the contacts on both side of the magnetic connection.

- Check the cable covering as it attaches to the magnetic connector. Has it cracked and/or pulled away? Has it be rather moist recently (not just rain)?

- While my issue isn't with the Essential cameras, does the battery icon appear properly, with the right color and shows not charging at night?

PrettyPeso
Aspirant
Aspirant

So update! Camera 2 miraculously is now charging from the solar panel!!!!

Now Camera 3...still no go on the charging front. 

-Unfortunately my cameras and panels do not have magnetic connections, so nothing to clean there.  😞

-I've checked the cables from the solar panel to the camera and they are clean and intact. No moisture detected in/on the lines or connectors. 

-The camera icon shows that is it charging and white/gray (gut now green in the app...upgrade maybe?) When I check the battery life in the battery settings in the app it shows that is is like 73%.

Not so sure what else to do except keep going up the ladder to manually charge until the solar panel "catches", if you will.

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate your efforts. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@PrettyPeso wrote:

-Unfortunately my cameras and panels do not have magnetic connections, so nothing to clean there.  😞

Sorry - forgot that these are the Essentials.

While it may be a risk, you can try swapping solar panels (or cameras, if easier) around to see what happens. 

PrettyPeso
Aspirant
Aspirant

no worries!!!

I'm up for anything....ill see if repositioning the solar panel will help as well.

Thanks again for your feedback and guidance, it is greatly appreciated!!!