Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Design flaw causing bad WIFI reception

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Leo888
Star
Star

I have two ultra cameras , wireless doorbell, and VMB5000 smarthub. I have very strong mesh wifi costing $1K+. Recently, I connected them all to smarthub directly, and found the wifi reception for those devices drop significantly. 

I believe they all connect to smarthub wifi rather than my mesh wifi. There is no central place in my home having a LAN port to plug the smarthub.

My suggestion is.... even if it is a local setup to connect to smarthub or base station, those Arlo devices should still use the existing LAN and wifi network, rather than smarthub or base station's wifi.

2 REPLIES 2
Dannybear
Master
Master
The ultra cameras are fixed to use the 5000 base. The doorbell can connect to base or local wifi router.

The base station matches the wifi channel to the strongest channel which would be the local wifi router. The purpose is to minimise interference between base and router. The base should be located ideally no less than 6ft to the router to minimise input overload. Having the router and base close together reduces imbalance of wifi signals at the camera.
Having multiple wifi router devices can upset that balance and result in reduced wifi performance.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Leo888 wrote:

My suggestion is.... even if it is a local setup to connect to smarthub or base station, those Arlo devices should still use the existing LAN and wifi network, rather than smarthub or base station's wifi.

The newest cameras (Pro 4, Video Doorbells, Essential, ...) can connect directly to your home wifi.  But in that mode they don't connect to the smarthub at all - they connect directly to the Arlo Cloud.

But the Ultras don't have that capability, they can only connect to the closed wifi in the base.

FWIW, it would be useful to be able to use a smarthub when the cameras are directly connected to home wifi.  But presently that cannot be done.