Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
MICAHMAN
Follower
Follower

I am having the worst time with my three cameras. Only one of them will connect. I cannot get the other two to be discovered. I know I am connected to a 2.4GHz network (Verified). I can scan the QR code, and I get the chime. After that, it times out, blink amber rapidly and shuts off and stops trying to connect, and i would press the sync button again, at which point it would just search for two minutes before saying it could not find a device and i would start over again. I have tried PC, android, and IOS. Nothing is working. I have looked all over the forums, and have even tried getting Arlo involved. I have not even gotten an email back from them. Is there anyone else who has had this problem?

70 REPLIES 70
TCW
Tutor
Tutor

I was able to get all three of mine working and they have now been working for about 3 months.  I assumed that the one problem I had with one of my cameras was a weak wifi signal.  It was a hassle trying to get it to reset but I finally did it.  I did have to take one of mine back because it would not take a charge.   Since I was able to get these two issues resolved, I have not had another issue but it is still early.  I've used the Arlo pro for a few years with very little trouble but for some reason this Essential Spotlight model seems to be much more finicky.

beto38
Tutor
Tutor

The issue remains... no help at all from support dept.

I followed all the reccomended steps(switched to 2.4, good wifi signal, reset) Will return product once I get back to US.

And other help from the community will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

max222
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did you confirm when you click through the menus that you have the exact model type you're trying to pair? I tried everything, spent over an hour on support calls, and then realized that they have a different item in the drop down menu for "Arlo essential" and "Arlo essential spotlight". It has to be exact to work. 

oscarhf
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, finally the cameras are working for me, but in another wifi network with more bandwidth. I was trying to use the cameras in rural zone but they not worked there. Another thing I repeated all suggested steps many times until suddenly these worked!
megalosworld
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same model and issue as @MICAHMAN and did what he did to solve this issue - factory reset, etc.  I'm still having issues. Please help!

Pugsdelgadillos
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello. All cameras are fine now. I charged all cameras first then I deleted then reinstalled the app. It actually took about 2 days to find this method for me.
MamaJules
Aspirant
Aspirant

I finally got one of my cameras to show up. Then I get to the screen where I am to position my camera (Essential Spotlight) it always says connecting-- sometimes shows poor bandwidth. It is the only thing signed on to the 2.4 portion of my modem-- getting guest activated was an ordeal in itself-- other than my phone which I am using to set up. I have tried moving away from everything, nothing is working. I am going to try the factory reset to night but this is ridiculous. I purchased the 3 set and can not even get 1 to work. I have tried for a week and I am beyond frustrated. Any other ideas? wifi signal is not weak.

C_Steele
Aspirant
Aspirant
Here's a solution that worked for me.
Having had the same frustrating problem and trying different phones, router and camera resets I found that when I selected the Arlo XL it connected straight away. This is despite it not being my model.
Hope that helps!
David_gulfauto
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just realized the post I'm replying to is a year old, hopefully it helps someone. I have had the same issue as OP with my 3 pack of Essential Spotlight Cameras, since day one. Camera times out, blue light stops blinking, app still searching for camera. I discovered that if the camera times out, which is likely, you only need to press the button for a couple seconds and the light will start blinking again. That isn't always guaranteed to get the camera discovered, but it works around 50% of the time. I haven't found any one thing that works all of the time. I regularly need to rediscover my cameras, for one reason or another, and I always have problems with discovering the cameras. I have tried restarting the app, restarting the phone, turning the router off and on, and cussing. Patience and repeated attempts are the only thing that works consistently. It sucks, but it seems you just have to keep trying until it works. I liked the smart hub arlos better.
TCW
Tutor
Tutor
I didn’t realize that without the Smarthub that you are forced to pay 10 dollars a month. That must have been in the fine print. My mother has run the Smarthub system for free for 3 years now and I’m forced to pay the monthly fee. Arlo snuck this in and I have not been happy about it.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@TCW wrote:
I didn’t realize that without the Smarthub that you are forced to pay 10 dollars a month. That must have been in the fine print. My mother has run the Smarthub system for free for 3 years now and I’m forced to pay the monthly fee. Arlo snuck this in and I have not been happy about it.

It has been like that since the Ultra release several years ago (2018)  for cloud recordings. It is on the Box (acually bigger then my Pro3 box) and Product page. The Pro2 and older still have the the free 7 day cloud. If The essential was connected to a Hub/Base you could use local storage. 

Chapizrios
Aspirant
Aspirant
It has completely been a nightmare if I would have known that this would have been such a huge headache I have tried it multiple times and I leave it and I come back to it the thing is that I've had it for more than a month and neither of both cameras have I been able to connect or set up even get started I desperately want a refund and the store will not give me one if me 1 and Arlo seriously has to do an update or fix this bug that's on the camera or stop fake advertising

Chapizrios
Aspirant
Aspirant
Factory resetting them does not work I've tried multiple times I already broke my head a million a 1000 times and I cannot get him up and started that's BS
Chapizrios
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having the same issue when it's getting irritating
TJaC
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having the same issue, read every comments and tried everything. Not connecting! I am now of the view that Arlo indeed pays for many sponsored videos to have their products recommended. In reality their products really suck.
TCW
Tutor
Tutor

I believe many of their products are pretty good.  Unfortunately, some of their more recent products like the essential spotlight may not be as good as the battle tested Arlo Pro.   Perhaps they will course correct with future offerings? 

beto38
Tutor
Tutor

I agree, the older products are still good so far.

The main issue I had was with the Spotlight camera which I returned last month. 

Jayoo
Aspirant
Aspirant

For anyone has trouble connecting their essential spotlight cameras to WIFI, try the method below:

Set up your phone hotspot name and password same as your home wifi, then turn off your wifi network

Using another phone or computer connect to your hotspot, then set up the camera as usual with your second phone or computer. after connected, switch off your phone hotspot and turn back on your home wifi, camera should automatically connected to your home wifi.

Notforme
Aspirant
Aspirant

The support from Arlo is the number one reason I will never buy or use their product. Support for the product is beyond awful. I had 3 cameras, bought as a bundle of 3. Two cameras worked perfect the 3rd would NOT factory reset. The amber light during reset would flash once. I reset the other two with no issues. All I wanted was to have someone on the phone and get a warranty replacement camera. Way to go Arlo, I will never recommend or use anything from arlo  

Notforme
Aspirant
Aspirant

The support from Arlo is the number one reason I will never buy or use their product. Support for the product is beyond awful. I had 3 cameras, bought as a bundle of 3. Two cameras worked perfect the 3rd would NOT factory reset. The amber light during reset would flash once. I reset the other two with no issues. All I wanted was to have someone on the phone and get a warranty replacement camera. Way to go Arlo, I will never recommend or use anything from arlo.

IngoJMI
Aspirant
Aspirant

After many, many, many tries (trying everything recommended in this thread) -- we finally got our camera to connect. All it took was keeping it plugged in as we ran through the setup wizard. Now we're trying that with the other 2 that won't connect with fingers crossed. UGH.