Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
MICAHMAN
Follower
Follower

I am having the worst time with my three cameras. Only one of them will connect. I cannot get the other two to be discovered. I know I am connected to a 2.4GHz network (Verified). I can scan the QR code, and I get the chime. After that, it times out, blink amber rapidly and shuts off and stops trying to connect, and i would press the sync button again, at which point it would just search for two minutes before saying it could not find a device and i would start over again. I have tried PC, android, and IOS. Nothing is working. I have looked all over the forums, and have even tried getting Arlo involved. I have not even gotten an email back from them. Is there anyone else who has had this problem?

70 REPLIES 70
McCranium
Tutor
Tutor

Nope... not the Wifi control channel.. I reset the camera and tried again with the Wifi set to channel 11, and then to channel 1.. absolutely no effect. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@McCranium wrote:

So the funny thing is with this issue is that I can actually see the camera on my wifi network (see image below).
Capture2.JPG

However, it will still not detect in the Arlo application, something is awry here. Any awesome ideas for us to try support? 

This means that it's not about the camera connecting to the WiFi.

Have you tried turning off mobile data in the phone?

McCranium
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, I reached out to support (via live chat) and they suggested the following:

- Disable mobile data, try again.

- Factory reset amd try again.

- Try detection /setup via my.arlo.com

- Factory reset of the camera again in web

Unfortunately none of these steps have worked so far,I'm kind of stumped at why this is so hard to get back online/detect. I'm really not sure what else to try at this point. Wish some could explain where it is going wrong.

dlils
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's 4/7/21 and I am having the same issue with connecting the essential cameras. I've factory reset, I've Charged the Cameras, I've tried multiple devices such as my computer, a tablet and my cell phone to connect and none ended up working... I have verified that I am using 2.4 ghz connnection each time and I still can not connect.... What should I try next?

pondcl
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's 4/8/21 and I am also having the same exact issue and have tried everything you have listed as well. My wifi registers all of my devices and the camera on my 2.4ghz connection but somehow can't connect the camera to any of my devices. Seems like this is an ongoing issue for a lot of people. Might be returning this product in the next couple days.

McCranium
Tutor
Tutor

All - I opened a case with support via live chat. They did their best to help me through this situation. We did try alternate SSIDs, mobile data, ensuring the phone had only Wifi at one point, factory resets etc. None of that worked and I can now tell you why.

When adding a camera it is very important for detection to select the right camera, it is not enough to select the same genre of camera. It will not detect unless it is exactly the same model, for example detection will not detect if an Essential XL is selected and you have an Essential Spotlight. 

This has stumped support as it was not something they asked me. Once I went back to my original receipt I saw what model I had , reset the ca!era (one more time) and tried adding it. Holy crap it worked! I immediately felt pretty dumb bites glad it worked, Arlo support was about to replace my camera as nothing had worked after two support sessions.

It is possible your cameras are actually broken but I suggest working with support to see if you can resolve, be patient and keep an open mind. If all else fails see if you can swap the camera.

beto38
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, so the only option the app gives you during setup is the essential spotlight and essential XL (All in one ).

How did you separate the two? 

Its been 2 months since Im stuck with this useless camera.

Thanks

dcfox1
Master
Master

He may have have meant the option for Indoor cam and Essential Camera. The Spotlight and XL are the same selection as you said so he may have selected one of the others by mistake at first as there are three selections. Not sure which you have as it would make a difference. 

beto38
Tutor
Tutor

Got it, thanks for the clarification.  Any luck setting up the camera?

dcfox1
Master
Master

I did but it has been a while and returned it for the Pro3. When I did set it up I had no problem though. There are FAQ here that includes a link to a vid on set up. It seems getting the phone to read the code right by moving it around to read the code is key. Also the WIFI password right. 

McCranium
Tutor
Tutor
Correct, was just trying to distinguish between different versions of the Arlo Essential and was picking the wrong one.
When I was picking I was selecting Arlo Essential but should've been selecting Arlo Essential Spotlight and Arlo Essential XL Spotlight. Once I selected the right model it worked correctly. I thought I just had the Arlo Essential but I actually have the Arlo Essential Spotlight.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@McCranium wrote:
 Once I selected the right model it worked correctly. I thought I just had the Arlo Essential but I actually have the Arlo Essential Spotlight.

I don't know why they make it that hard.  It should be possible to just select "camera" and have the system look for all models.

pineknots
Aspirant
Aspirant

wow, everyone says the same thing, i got one to monitor my mother with dementia, so far i have made sure its fully charged, found that the pass word is correct, i make sure it stays on 2.4 wifi, yes 8 inchs away from the pic to get the chime, and every single time the blue light times out about 4 seconds after the chime so you have to repress the blue light and then it blinks for 2 mins.(why does it not last 2 mins if you get the chime in the first 20 sec. i have no idea!), i have tried standing 15ft, 10 ft 5 ft and 3 ft and right beside the modem, nothing , i tried chat and no joke it was a joke my wording was would not connect to wifi and it said try asking the question in a different way... ), so i called , i did what he suggested press and hold until the orange factory reset occurs an then make sure your phones cellular data is turned off and still nothing and then retry... nothing...they only have 3 recommendation online for the issue... frustrating.. especially when you need it! and to boot i see no comments from any help department responding to everyone's issues which shows lack of support for the system..

beto38
Tutor
Tutor

Yes this is incredible isn't it? No real answer from tech support.I have no other choice than return the faulty monitor.

McCranium
Tutor
Tutor
When I worked with support via chat it did take a while but once all possible solutions were tried, they were ready to offer me a replacement. I ultimately did get mine online (see dumb admissions previously in the post) but the Arlo team was ready to replace the unit that for all intents and purposes seemed dead. So hang in there, keep trying. I'd also say, get the original packaging band recent to make sure it is the right model, and double check that SSID password.
Cyannknudson
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issue as you are. I talk to arlo more than I talk to my own kids I swear..
Its so bad and im so frustrated.
Cyannknudson
Aspirant
Aspirant
Even after doing reset sometimes it would work other times @ it would not. Im so frustrated. I just had a home invasion eight days ago. 3 guys had guns to one of my kids heads. He shot at me 2 times. But cameras were not working at the time. So who knows if we will ever find them.
TCW
Tutor
Tutor
I have taken one back because it would not charge then I lost another one and can’t get it back online. I’ve tried everything suggested.
TCW
Tutor
Tutor
Update! I did a hard system reset. Plugged it in and let it charge for 10 minutes. Held the sync button for about 45 seconds and it started blinking blue. Then I synced it following the sun steps and it found my camera. It is back up and running. I think the wifi signal is too weak where I have it mounted and that is what caused it to have all these problems
Dom89
Aspirant
Aspirant

Im having the exact same issue, did you get yours resolved? im going to be returning these tomorrow and going with a different brand. 

TCW
Tutor
Tutor
Yes... I was able to get the issue resolved and all 3 cameras have been running for about a month now. I think if you have a weak wifi signal that a camera can drop out. It was a pain to get it to reset but now it has been working again for a month.
max222
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well this was a saga. I went through an hour support call trying everything related to my Orbi mesh network and isolating everything on 2.4 ghz. We tried using a guest network, using my phone as a hotspot, etc. Ultimately decided something was defective on the camera and they sent me a new one. I started on the new one and had the same issue. This didn't make any sense because I had tried it on 3 different 2.4 ghz networks, the SSIDs and pws were right. I tried it on 4-5 different devices (phones, laptops, tablets, etc), no luck.

I was on with support again and they gave up and were going to level 2 support to call me back and I found this thread while waiting. I had been selecting Arlo Essential in the drop down menu instead of Arlo essential - Spotlight. That was the whole problem. Seems silly, but make sure you have the right drop down selected. 

oscarhf
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same problem, after reading these posts I decide to return this product immediately. I don't understand why this is one of the best referenced security camera, It was imposibble connecting to the mobile app. 😞

quentin3225
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any update  ? I'm also having the same issue.. The camera is visible on my network but I'm stuck on the app, and it's failing to connect the camera... Any upcoming app update or way to connect the cameras ? I'm kind of unhappy to have this kind of issue with all my new cameras, we cost a lot..

dcfox1
Master
Master

@quentin3225 wrote:

Any update  ? I'm also having the same issue.. The camera is visible on my network but I'm stuck on the app, and it's failing to connect the camera... Any upcoming app update or way to connect the cameras ? I'm kind of unhappy to have this kind of issue with all my new cameras, we cost a lot..

I saw some that were selecting "Essential" instead of "Essential Spotlight Camera". It then worked if they selected the Essential Spotlight. Just in case you were doing that.