Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Can the Arlo Essential XL Camera record locally?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
BuzzBee55
Aspirant
Aspirant

Seems the Arlo XL Camera can only record storage with a cloud subscription.  Can the Camera also record and store locally to the Arlo Hub?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

FYI, the outdoor Essential Gen 2 camera models are

• VMC2050
  • VMC2052 (XL)
  • VMC3050
  • VMC3052 (XL)

@BuzzBee55 wrote:

So if I connect the Essential XL Spotlight (VMC2032) to a Smart Hub VMB5000 or VMB4540 will I be able to playback the local recording through the Arlo App? 

Yes.  The details depend on whether you see "Feed" and "Dashboard" in your app, or whether you see "Library" instead.  New accounts all have "Feed".  Older accounts might have "Library", but Arlo is slowly migrating them to the newer "Feed".

With Feed, you

1. go to the devices page
  2. select the base
  3. select storage settings

Note the recordings will not appear on the Feed Page, instead it will suggest a subscription.

With Library, you select the "Cloud" title at the top of the Library page, and then you'll be able to select the base.  IMO, this is more convenient.

Either way, using local recording instead of a subscription has some drawbacks:

• Recordings only available in the app, not my.arlo.com
  • Recordings only available using the primary account (not "Friend" accounts)
  • No ability to save manual recordings or snapshots
  • No thumbnails, all videos need to be downloaded to your phone to view them
  • remote access requires router setting changes that some find difficult, and which don't work with some internet service providers

Also there are other subsciption features, including

• activity zones
  • smart notifications

Arlo's info on all of this is here:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BuzzBee55 wrote:

Seems the Arlo XL Camera can only record storage with a cloud subscription.  Can the Camera also record and store locally to the Arlo Hub?

The Gen 1 cameras can connect to a hub, so local storage works on those.

The Gen 2 cameras don't have that feature yet.  Arlo says they are planning to provide it, but they haven't said when.

BuzzBee55
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yesterday Arlo chat help told me that Arlo SmartHub VMB5000 or VMB4540 are be able view local recordings thru the App for Gen 2 Cameras.  Can someone from the community verify if that is correct please?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BuzzBee55 wrote:

Yesterday Arlo chat help told me that Arlo SmartHub VMB5000 or VMB4540 are be able view local recordings thru the App for Gen 2 Cameras.  Can someone from the community verify if that is correct please?

They gave you the wrong info.  Gen 2 cameras cannot be connected to a smarthub - so no local recordings can be made from those cameras.

Arlo has said they will roll out smarthub support for these cameras, but they haven't said when.

Essential Gen 1 cameras (including the Essential XL in your title) can be connected to a smarthub, so local recordings are available for them.

BuzzBee55
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB, thank you for the clarification.  I thought the Essential XL was a Gen 2 Camera.  My mistake.
So if I connect the Essential XL Spotlight (VMC2032) to a Smart Hub VMB5000 or VMB4540 will I be able to playback the local recording through the Arlo App?  Or will I need to disconnect local storage and then playback on my desktop?  Thank you in advance for your well-informed answers.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

FYI, the outdoor Essential Gen 2 camera models are

• VMC2050
  • VMC2052 (XL)
  • VMC3050
  • VMC3052 (XL)

@BuzzBee55 wrote:

So if I connect the Essential XL Spotlight (VMC2032) to a Smart Hub VMB5000 or VMB4540 will I be able to playback the local recording through the Arlo App? 

Yes.  The details depend on whether you see "Feed" and "Dashboard" in your app, or whether you see "Library" instead.  New accounts all have "Feed".  Older accounts might have "Library", but Arlo is slowly migrating them to the newer "Feed".

With Feed, you

1. go to the devices page
  2. select the base
  3. select storage settings

Note the recordings will not appear on the Feed Page, instead it will suggest a subscription.

With Library, you select the "Cloud" title at the top of the Library page, and then you'll be able to select the base.  IMO, this is more convenient.

Either way, using local recording instead of a subscription has some drawbacks:

• Recordings only available in the app, not my.arlo.com
  • Recordings only available using the primary account (not "Friend" accounts)
  • No ability to save manual recordings or snapshots
  • No thumbnails, all videos need to be downloaded to your phone to view them
  • remote access requires router setting changes that some find difficult, and which don't work with some internet service providers

Also there are other subsciption features, including

• activity zones
  • smart notifications

Arlo's info on all of this is here: