Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
jwalkingjon
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, my arlo worked fine for months. Recently it seems like it stopped recording I noticed if I remove it from my plan it'll instantly alert me but won't send the notications or record. I can manually record fine though and sometimes I can get it to work for a day or two by removing and reading it a few times. Camera works perfectly fine on the device itself and I can connect to it from the app right away. Seems something software related
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jwalkingjon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Knock on wood, But new account seems to have possibly fixed the issue. It's been working for about 4 days now with 0 hiccups so I'm praying that that was it. I'm not sure why my account was limited or what caused the issue but maybe someone from Arlo can step in to let me know since support hasn't replied for a while.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, do you have any subscription, whether the original trial one or a paid one? These cameras need a subscription to have cloud recordings. You can record locally without a plan but the camera has to be connected to a base or hub.

jwalkingjon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

A few weeks ago my camera stopped sending me notifications. I checked and was able to view / record live perfectly fine. I ended up finding out that if I take my camera out of the subscription I get the normal notification alerts with no video. I tried fully rebooting the camera and even did a hard reset. But seems like the same thing after setting up the camera from scratch 3-4 times. 

The second I remove it from the subscription I instantly get the motion alerts like I used to. Seems like something on my account or a setting somewhere. I tried turning off the "People" option in the smart alerts and turning it back on but no luck with that. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jwalkingjon,

Try switching all of your Smart notifications off and then back on again and test. Do you still experience the same behavior?

JamesC

jwalkingjon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Sometimes that fixes the issue - Sometimes it doesn't. So far I have only been able to fix it for a day or two then it turns back off again. The second I remove my subscription I get motion alerts right away. Sometimes I have to cancel my subscription then redo it and it works again for a bit. It takes me about 30 minutes each time to fix it for about a day or two. Support hasn't been much help since they claim it might be my app. But it does the same thing on another device + on the web client with both apps removed. 

jwalkingjon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Basically I just stop getting the notifications all together and nothing recorded in the app. The camera still picks up motion and I can hear the shutter opening in it. Also the spotlight comes on. But no recordings or notifcations, I can force record though fine and view it live no issues.

jwalkingjon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does Arlo limit space on the cloud storage? Seems deleting old videos has fixed it right away. I set my record time to 2 minutes and get about 150 motion alerts a day so maybe I hit a hidden limit? Is that a thing? 

dcfox1
Master
Master

@jwalkingjon wrote:

Does Arlo limit space on the cloud storage? Seems deleting old videos has fixed it right away. I set my record time to 2 minutes and get about 150 motion alerts a day so maybe I hit a hidden limit? Is that a thing? 

Besides the 30 day storage I have never seen or heard anything about a max on number of recordings. 

jwalkingjon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure what would cause it then in that case - I was wondering if that was the cause and deleted a few days in Feb and it seem to make it work for all of today without hiccups a few minutes after I did it so I'm really not sure. Hoping that is the fix though as I'm fine deleting a few weeks of recordings every so often as long as it works. 

jwalkingjon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah I have a subscription, I have figured out canceling and renewing my subscription almost everyday seems to fix the issue since the issue happens after about a full day sometimes 10-15 hours. Sometimes I have to do that or turn off "people" in smart notifications then back on. But lately it seems like deleting my subscription then readding it works. Like fully canceling it then rebuying it. Seems like something on my account that's wrong as the camera works flawlessly without the subscription I just can't record or get recordings but once I readd it, It works again for about a day.  Support is  of no help yet, It's been about 2 weeks and they're still sending me app troubleshooting tips after I told them it even happens only using the web based client. So I guess I'm out of luck other than buying a different camera after 7 months.

jwalkingjon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

Are you able to escalate my case 42359597 .  The support agents are still sending me troubleshooting tips for the app itself after about 2 weeks when it's clearly not my app. I need this camera working, I have to cancel my subscription every night for it to work then it works for about a day. Without the subscription I get motion alerts flawlessly, To me it seems like an account issue since the camera is picking up motion / sending alerts fine and canceling my subscription seems to be the fix most days. I work IT and have tried every step. Deleting app / Clearing cache and saved videos / setup a new router to test with / Tried without the phone app and purely using the web based client / Did multiple full factory resets of the camera and even left it off for a few hours after a reset. No luck but I was able to figure out deleting my sub and repurchasing it fixes the issue most times. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Dunno that the brute force method of switching systems is needed but it does sound like your account has an issue. I would cancel all subscriptions and remove all devices from Settings, My Devices. Be sure to note all settings, modes, rules, etc. first. Since it may be an account issue, create a new account using a second email address and set everything up again. I believe that will get you new trial subscriptions so you can test for proper operation.

jwalkingjon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I haven't tried a new account! I will try that later thank you for the suggestion I didn't even consider it tbh. Yeah 100% seems like an account issue or something because the camera legit works 100% of the time without the sub I just don't get the nice picture notifications which I want specially with going on a trip in a few weeks and the cancelling the sub and redoing it fixing the issue is more proof to that. I'll try that and post if it helps or not, I'll probably only know tomorrow or the next day since it fixes for 1-2 days sometimes. 

jwalkingjon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Knock on wood, But new account seems to have possibly fixed the issue. It's been working for about 4 days now with 0 hiccups so I'm praying that that was it. I'm not sure why my account was limited or what caused the issue but maybe someone from Arlo can step in to let me know since support hasn't replied for a while.

jwalkingjon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why was this ticket marked as solved but nobody from Arlo will reply with why the fact that I needed to create a whole new account?  Nobody will reply to my ticket either

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jwalkingjon,

I will take a look at your support ticket. Please let us know if you experience any issues on the new account.

JamesC

jwalkingjon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Issue seems to have happened on the new account after about 2 weeks. I get 200+ motion alerts a day not sure if this is causing me to get black listed or something? My camera seems to opperate fine