Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
stringbing93
Follower
Follower

Why can my phone not find my cameras? Been trying to set up my cameras and can't due to this issue. It's getting aggravating especially with spending the money I did on them. Can someone help me?? I'd appreciate it

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you on the 2.4GHz band with the phone? Have you tried the reset listed below? What have you tried and what do you see? All details are needed.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062438/How-do-I-factory-reset-and-re-sync-my-Arlo-camera

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stringbing93 wrote:

Why can my phone not find my cameras? 

Some common causes:

• Selecting the Arlo Essential, and not the Arlo Essential Spotlight during onboarding
  • phone not connected to home wifi at all
  • phone connected a 5 ghz instead of 2.4 (disable 5 ghz in your router during onboarding if it lets you)
  • wifi network is not set up for WPA2 (AES) security
  • wifi network name has special characters/punctuation in it
  • wifi password has special characters/punctuation in it

When the QR code chimes, check your router's attached device list.  If the camera shows up there, then it did manage to connect to your home wifi (even if the app doesn't find it).

If this is your situation, try onboarding again from a PC (browse to my.arlo.com).  That sometimes works when the phone fails.

RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

All I can tell you is that even if you are doing everything right... sometimes they don't always link up after multiple tries. I recently changed some things with my 9 camera system and had to relink all of them to a different wifi signal. 
  I brought each individual camera into the house and sat right here not 15 foot away from the wifi access point I was linking them to... and the first camera took 3 attempts to link up. Camera had no problem "seeing" the QR code.

On the second one, while I was patiently waiting for it to link, I got up with the phone and walked into the kitchen... away from the camera... laid the phone down on the kitchen counter to get something out of the fridge. When I looked down... it had magically "found" the camera... just that quick.  I had sat there for a minute.. right next to the camera...and it couldn't "find" it...but as soon as I got away from the phone, it'd link up!
   I don't know if it was just a coincidence or not... but each camera after that I'd take the phone away from the immediate area of the camera and within a minute the phone would be discovered.
  Maybe there is something to it... separating the phone from the camera... or maybe it's just a coincidence.... but I got all 9 phones done in no time without any problems. Wouldn't hurt to try... my solution
is just as relevant as any you'll get on here, anyway, lol... Arlo has no answers for anything.. it's all guesswork.

KEEP TRYING!!!!

duggyhow501
Guide
Guide

I ended up having to get a smart hub for my essential cameras because my isp changed something about my modem.  They linked to it and all is good now.  Hope that helps someone.