Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Rockyrico1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is the Essential Spotlight Camera (VMC2030B) compatible with an Arris Surfboard SB6190 Wi-Fi router?  When setting it up, it can’t locate my Arlo device.  (Which worked fine at another home with a different Wi-Fi setup). Thanks.  

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The specific router shouldn't be an issue. However, things like a single SSID for both WiFi bands can be - try disabling the 5GHz band for the purpose of setting the camera up or use a computer.

Rockyrico1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've used this camera at another home and it set up easily.  I'm trying to add it to a new location (where I have an Arlo Go set up).  When I try to add it (using my iphone, ipad and PC), it can't "find" it.  Any ideas?  My network band is 2.4 GHz.

Rockyrico1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I only show 2.4GHz for my wifi...tried setting the camera up on my PC but it did the same thing - couldn't find the camera.  Worked fine at another home... and I've used the Arlo Go here (although it's not connected to the wifi like the Essential is...)  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rockyrico1 wrote:

I only show 2.4GHz for my wifi

As far as I can tell from the datasheets, the SB6190 is only a cable modem - it doesn't have any wifi.

Can you confirm the model?  Also, is there a router connected to the SB6190's ethernet port?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rockyrico1 wrote:

I've used this camera at another home and it set up easily.  I'm trying to add it to a new location (where I have an Arlo Go set up).  When I try to add it (using my iphone, ipad and PC), it can't "find" it.  Any ideas?  My network band is 2.4 GHz.

Maybe stick with your other post here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Essential-Wire-Free-Cameras/Arlo-compatible-with-Arris-Surfboard-...

Having two conversations about the same issue usually just creates confusion.

Rockyrico1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for merging my conversations - got a bit confused using this site.  So now I realize that I have a Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router WNR1000 plugged in as well… maybe the Arlo Essential cameras can’t be set-up using that?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rockyrico1 wrote:

So now I realize that I have a Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router WNR1000 plugged in as well… maybe the Arlo Essential cameras can’t be set-up using that?

It ought to work (though it is a really old router, and a new one would give you much faster wifi).

You'll need to log into the router, and make sure that the wifi encryption is set to WPA2-PSK {AES].  That's the third option down on the screenshot on figure 4 of the user manual (page 29).  https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNR1000V3/WNR1000v3h2_UM_21OCT2010.pdf

Note there are three versions of that router - I'm assuming you have the final version (v3).  There should be a part number label on the router that starts with WNR1000.  If it doesn't have a v2 or v3, then you must have the first generation v1.  If you google the whole thing (for instance: "WNR1000v1 support" you should see a Netgear support link at the top of the search, which will give you the user manual for your model.

Rockyrico1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’ve given up trying to connect the Arlo Essential Spotlight camera at that location. I’m not all that tech savvy and was hesitant to dig any further. However… I took it to another home where I have HughesNet satellite service.  I can install the camera, going through each step — but when I finish, it remains offline and fails to connect to the HughesNet Wi-Fi.  I’ve been on the phone with HughesNet and Arlo and don’t seem to be getting anywhere.  Arlo rep says it sounds like I have Wi-Fi service but no internet service (?).  Hughes rep tells me my system looked good and that I have Wi-Fi and internet.  I’m assuming it’s just not compatible.  I hate to give up, but…. Any ideas??