Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
majel
Aspirant
Aspirant

arlo essential has stopped recording to the base station when i turned on local recording. even though i get notifications and the spotlight works. i will even get a pic of what tripped the camera but no recording. my arlo pro 2 work just fine and records to my usb device

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dcfox1
Master
Master

@majel wrote:

your saying the recordings im seeing from pro2 is on my vrb4000 and not from my usb device, and that arlo essintials 2 weeks free subscription is up therfor i can no longer see them because their a newer camera. in order to watch the recordings from my app the best way is to get a subscription.  

Yes they are the 7 day free cloud recordings for the Pro 2. The Essential has a 3 month trial to Smart for cloud recordings different from the Pro2. The  newer cams like the Essential  require a sub after that for cloud recordings. Your Pro2's are still good without a sub for the 7 day recording. I  have the Pro3's and  cloud recordings are worth the sub cost as Local recordings have limitations even with a Smart Hub. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
dcfox1
Master
Master

What Base/Smart Hub do you have. You can only see local recordings in the App with the 4540 and 5000 Smart Hubs. If older base you have to pull the USB and view it in a computer. Is that what you have done if an older base? 

majel
Aspirant
Aspirant

VMB4000r3 is my hub. i have a 2gb hard drive hooked up to it. my arlo 2 record just fine. my arlo essentials will not. i get notified that it has been tripped and a snapshot of what tripped it but no recording. 

dcfox1
Master
Master

How are you viewing the USB recordings as I asked to clear that up. Are you ejecting the USB and inserting it in a computer to view which is required on the 4000 base you have. If in the App it was the free 7 day cloud recordings for the Pro2. The Essential as all newer camera require a subscription after the trial expires to view cloud recordings in the app.  Also your Essential cam is connected to the base and not your home wifi? 

majel
Aspirant
Aspirant

no. im not ejecting the usb device to watch. i can watch the recordings from my arlo pro cameras from my app without ejecting the usb device however i can not watch the recordings from my arlo essentials from the app and i dont know if i could if i removed the usb device and hooked it up to a pc because i have never tried. my understanding was i didnt need a cloud subscription if i hooked up a local usb device. 

dcfox1
Master
Master

You are seeing the free 7 day Pro2 cloud recordings in the App. You can not see Local recordings in the App with your base. So again you have to view the USB in a computer so that is why you have no Essential recordings in the app without a sub. You can follow these instructions on how to view local recordings on your base. It is not ideal but you could get a single cam sub for the Essential to have cloud recordings to see on the App like your Pro2's. 

How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station?

majel
Aspirant
Aspirant

my fault but ive had my arlo pro 2 for over a year. like i said they are working fine. its my arlo essentials that i cant watch the recording but i get a notification after they have been tripped. i do not have a subscription but im able to watch recordings from my usb device from my app. im sorry for the confusion i may not be making my point very clear.

so are you telling me that i cant watch arlo essentials recordings from my local usb device unless i have a cloud subscription even though i can watch my arlo 2 recordings from my usb device from my app

dcfox1
Master
Master

@majel wrote:

my fault but ive had my arlo pro 2 for over a year. like i said they are working fine. its my arlo essentials that i cant watch the recording but i get a notification after they have been tripped. i do not have a subscription but im able to watch recordings from my usb device from my app. im sorry for the confusion i may not be making my point very clear.

so are you telling me that i cant watch arlo essentials recordings from my local usb device unless i have a cloud subscription even though i can watch my arlo 2 recordings from my usb device from my app

You can view them if you follow the directions in the link provided. But not in the App on your VMB4000 you said you have. Same with your Pro2 Local recordings. Again in the App you are seeing the Pro2 free cloud recordings, not local. You are mixing up local with Pro2 cloud recordings. Again on your base you can not see any Local recordings even Pro2 from the App, just cloud. If you Plug the USB into a computer to view all cams should be there. 

majel
Aspirant
Aspirant

your saying the recordings im seeing from pro2 is on my vrb4000 and not from my usb device, and that arlo essintials 2 weeks free subscription is up therfor i can no longer see them because their a newer camera. in order to watch the recordings from my app the best way is to get a subscription.  

dcfox1
Master
Master

@majel wrote:

Yes they are the 7 day free cloud recordings for the Pro 2. The Essential has a 3 month trial to Smart for cloud recordings different from the Pro2. The  newer cams like the Essential  require a sub after that for cloud recordings. Your Pro2's are still good without a sub for the 7 day recording. I  have the Pro3's and  cloud recordings are worth the sub cost as Local recordings have limitations even with a Smart Hub.