Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Essential XL with VMA3600 Solar Panel – doesn't charge?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
fbennien
Follower
Follower

Hi Arlo tribe,

I just bought the Arlo Essential XL in combination with the solar panel. However, it looks like the panel is not charging the camera/battery. Can anyone help?

When I connect the camera to the charger I get a little charging arrow in the battery symbol in the app – like with my Macbook and other devices. However, when I connect the solar panel, I don't get this arrow.

Questions:

1. Is the arrow visible in the app when the solar panel is connected? Or just, if the panel is charging? Should it show at all?

2. How bright does it need to be outside for the panel to charge? Just a normal day? Or does it need bright sunlight?

3. How fast should the panel charge the battery? I.e. mine was delivered with around 60% charge and has not changed much in the first three days ...

4. How can I find out if the panel is not working vs. there is not enough light?

Thanks for any help.

Best, Felix

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@fbennien wrote:

1. Is the arrow visible in the app when the solar panel is connected? Or just, if the panel is charging? Should it show at all?

4. How can I find out if the panel is not working vs. there is not enough light?

The lightning bolt will only show up when the panel is delivering power.  The camera is detecting the power, so if the panel is totally broken you shouldn't be seeing the lightning bolt at all.

@fbennien wrote:

3. How fast should the panel charge the battery? I.e. mine was delivered with around 60% charge and has not changed much in the first three days ...

The XL is a big battery, so it will take a long time for the panel to charge it.  I suggest fully charging it with the AC adapter first, and then see how well the panel can maintain the charge.