Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Essential Spotlight - charge doesn’t last long

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Mrglaub
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed an Essential spotlight camera above our garage with a solar panel.  The camera stays charged for about 2 days before needing to be plugged in and recharged.  The app indicates that it is connected to the solar panel, which does not seem to be increasing the percentage charged on the batter indicator.  The panel is facing south and is unobstructed, so it should be charging the camera.  What can I do to help keep the battery charged

Mrglaub_0-1691945434389.png

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since the solar panel is just a trickle charger to top off the battery level, excessive recordings are the likely culprits. The spec for battery life is <5 minutes of total recording time as well as live viewing. If you're using Smart notifications and/or activity zones you may need to disable them so you can see what is actually being recorded in full. The solution is usually a combination of repositioning the camera to eliminate the street from view (just aim it for the real area of interest) as well as lowering motion sensitivity in your modes and rules.

A screenshot of the camera view may be useful for suggestions.

Mrglaub
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the suggestions.  I'll try them out and see if that helps improve the battery life.  We also have a wireless Arlo doorbell camera and the battery in it lasts for several months between charges with numerous viewings each week (if not each day).  We had previously tried using an Arlo Floodlight with a solar panel and extended life battery in the same location as where we placed the Essential spotlight camera.  We ended up returning the floodlight because the battery in it also only lasted a few days between charges.  Hopefully, with your suggestions, the battery in the Essential spotlight will last more than two days.  If not, we'll likely be looking for a different solution.