Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
jmader72
Tutor
Tutor

I connected the solar panel to my Arlo Camera.  Based on the icons showing, it is clear that the solar panel is connected properly.

The first time the power dropped below 100%, it immediately charged the camera until it reached 100% again.  After that first time, it does not automatically charge.  I have 2 options.  I can unplug the panel from the camera and then plug it back in, or I can go to the app and restart the camera.  Either of these tasks causes the camera to go into a charging status and continue on until it reaches 100%.  

Again, once it drops below 100% later on, it will not automatically start to charge unless I do one of those tasks.

Is there a setting I am missing or is this a known issue?

225 REPLIES 225
Capsgator
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have to agree with the removal of the solution or solved post.  My cameras did continue to charge over two days but once they reached 100%… they stopped charging and are now on the way back down to draining.  New app…. Replugged panel… restarted camera… all 7 panels still won’t resume charging after 100%.  Please remove the solved under my post… not sure who puts that there.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

The problem definitely isn't resolved. I am working with Arlo support...they have me creating logs and screenshots sending them to support showing how the cameras don't charge unless the solar panel cable is disconnected and reconnected...thats the only thing that works. They now want me to let my batteries to drop below 80% and send them new logs and screenshots showing that they still don't charge. I have gone over everything with them as well as directed them here to this community chat.....which they said they are aware of. 

Monteagle
Star
Star

@Capsgator  I believe I have same or similar problem (again).  I am sure that my pro 4 cam charged on its own for two consecutive days without disconnecting the cable, and then the problem returned.  It has been slowly discharging again.  

JRay1
Star
Star

Thanks @Bajathree for continuing to work with Arlo on your case and keeping us informed. 

shanc
Guide
Guide

I have four Arlo Ultra 2 cameras, all connected to solar charging panels. The panels work fine and receive sunlight most of the time. I’m aware that there are instances when there isn’t ample sunlight beaming onto the panels which is when the charging stops, but when sunlight hits them, the charging resumes.

The panels are bought from Arlo and suitable for cameras. 

The issue though is that these solar chargers stop charging the cameras, intermittently.  This occurs even when the panels receive full sunlight.

1. I have found that in such cases, I have to power cycle the charger, by disconnecting it from the camera for a second. Then reconnecting the charger to the camera starts the charging process.  So it cannot be a sunlight intensity or panel being dirty issue. I also wipe the panels each time I power cycle the cameras.  

2. I have also checked the solar charger connection to each camera and there seem to be no issues. The charger snaps firmly onto the base so there are no loose connections. 

3. The wires are intact and there is no damage (2-week old chargers). 

4. Arlo support have no idea what is going on either and have suggested that the panels or chargers may be faulty. (All four of them? Wow!)

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue, and if there are known solutions? I couldn’t find one in the forums, sorry. 

Kane-NZ
Initiate
Initiate

Can confirm my 4 cameras on solar still aren't charging, and as much as I hate to admit I am glad we are all in the same boat, as I though it was me and this week I was going to be doing a bunch of stuff I see most of you have tried to no success. 

Let's hope they are all back at work soon and will push a update and thanks to those in here who have been pushing support for action. 

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

One thing that support keeps saying and they were surprised when I told them that it hasn't been my experience is....they keep saying that the solar panels are only trickle chargers and if your camera is picking up a lot of activities they may not be able to keep your camera sufficiently charged. I live in sunny Florida and my panels face in direct sun. I have had my battery drop to low 80% range and have disconnected and reconnected the solar cable to force charging and have had the battery charge to 100% in as little as 2 hours time. These panels if you have them in direct full sun aren't as as much a trickle charger as Arlo claims...it has been my experience that in the right conditions the solar panels will charge the camera battery almost as fast as an Arlo charger plugged into the wall.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just received a new app update today to my I-Phone 4.0.3_4

JRay1
Star
Star

I've noticed the same thing about charging times.  I have one panel that gets full sun for 6 hours a day this time of year and another panel that only sees about 1-2 hours.  The one in full sun can easily go from 80% to 100% in just a few hours on a sunny day.  The other one, however, does well to just maintain a charge because it only gets late evening sun and it's my most active camera.  It sounds like they use the "trickle charge" answer to mean "your mileage may vary".

Tatey
Aspirant
Aspirant

Please hurry I'm about to throw mine in the bin and buy Swann!!!

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

When using my Solar Panels for just over a year; the 4 Seasons of the year they charged always to 100% and stayed there, even  days of overcast and rain.  It was not until that update of Firmware in November 2022 they failed to work as they should - unplugging and reconnecting the Solar Cable like a yoyo.  Instead of addressing the Firmware issue they resort to updating Apps.... how is that improving/fixing the problem, well it IS NOT.  They take the shortcut way by updating the App and not fixing the real issue = Firmware.

I feel for you all.  I lost my patience with the support staff not listening and getting nowhere.  I then hardwired the Cameras to the Electricity of my Home and never looked back - Cameras work awesome.  I returned my Solar Panels in well used condition to the Retailer explaining the fault with them; making them fully aware of the issue and directing the Retailer to this Forum; they gave me a full refund.

Chanathan
Aspirant
Aspirant

This exact thing happens to me. I only have one camera using the solar not as big as a deal as you but it’s inconvenient. I have to take the ladder out periodically and disconnect and reconnect it and it immediately starts working again. Wish there was something we could do remotely to trigger it. Would restarting the camera from the app do the same thing?

shanc
Guide
Guide

Hi, I suggest flagging this with Arlo so that they are aware that the problem exists, certainly with some cameras and chargers. A greater number of issues being reported may register some urgency at their end hopefully.  

I have tried it but restarting the cameras or playing them live do not work in addressing the issue, unfortunately. 

RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I ordered two Wasserstein panels and got them in the mail today. I got one mounted late in the afternoon, and it's so overcast it only showed charging for a little bit.  The cam this is attached to is on a telephone pole out in my alley. The cam was only mounted about 7' in the air, so was reachable by passerby. I wanted to get it up higher, so I wanted a panel for charging so I didn't have to get out and extension ladder to get it down for charging.
  I did the "force the system to update" to the new and improved "secure" the other day, since I read above that maybe the panels (Arlo and 3rd party) were not being recognized by the Secure system because individuals' systems updates hadn't actually been enacted on peoples' apps.
  So, mines updated and has a 3rd party panel on it. Hopefully the sun shines tomorrow. The camera is at 75%, so a good bit of sunshine should top it off tomorrow, then we'll see if me using it a lot can get the battery drawn down some to get the charging system to kick back in to make up for the loss.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

You may want to join on this larger chat on this issue....Arlo is following this one also.....

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-4/Arlo-4-Pro-Cameras-using-Solar-Issue/td-p/1886226

Tonyschawks
Star
Star

I was encouraged to join this forum. 

All, I believe I finally found the answer. For the record, I have an iPhone 11 to access the Arlo app.  In essence their is a two step process with the firmware update. 

Step 1 - Make sure you have downloaded the latest hardware firmware, which in my case was automatically performed via the App. 

Step2 - Force the software to update.   Go to opening Arlo App > Tap add new device > at the bottom you'll find "security system", tap security system > swipe to last card  and tap "start upgrade" > Upgrade Anyway.   A word of caution, this removes your Camera recording modes. 

Step 3 - Climb your ladders remove the solar power chord. Install a 100% charged battery. Remove the camera in the app

and re-sync the camera to the base station. Reconnect the solar panel chord. Suggest doing on this on a sunny day to confirm the charging via solar panel. 

Step 4 - Reconfigure your active zones and sensitivity on each camera you had to re-sync. Place the cameras in the order of your preference. 

These steps finally worked for me to mimic my functioning setup prior to Arlo’s damaging firmware update to all customers.  This push is for Arlo’s desire to be the next ADT/Brinks hence why the firmware (Arlo camera) and the security software updates (Arlo security group) not lining up. 
This took about 20 hours of my life trying to re-troubleshoot and viewing community threads. Customer support was of no help besides going through the typical troubleshooting protocols when the root cause was on their end impacting God knows how many customers. 

Arlo, I’ve been happy with your products for nearly 15 years and this Security System roll out has been a disaster for me. Hopefully you’d be willing to waive a years worth of the subscription service to all the impacted customers and myself. I solved the problem for you, please share with your Arlo tech support.  I received an email from Arlo that they are looking into the firmware with no expected timeline provided to come up with a resolution. 

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Tonyschawks I have done all what you have described more than once already....issue continues...it fixed nothing.

allsod
Star
Star

@Tonyschawks thanks for all the effort, advice and instructions Tony. Unfortunately when go to the app and “add new device” I don’t see the Security System option. I just have Caneras, Lights, Doorbells & Chimes, BasecStation/Hub.

I  am using app version 4.0.3 (5376) released on 22nd Dec. I am using an iPhone 14 on IOS 16.1.2.

Any suggestions?

Tonyschawks
Star
Star

Trust me I share your frustrations and apparently the many others on this thread as well.  I don’t work for Arlo and therefore have no logistical knowledge of the firmware and app. The only thing I can think of uninstalling the app, restart your phone, and reinstall the app. I wish you luck trying to troubleshoot something clearly Arlo needs to resolve. 

Tonyschawks
Star
Star

Sorry to hear @Bajathree.  Reading the series of posts, it is apparent there is nothing you can do to resolve the firmware and solar panel issues. This falls in the hands of Arlo. Reviewing your story, hopefully you can negotiate free subscription service for the next 5-years. 

RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As you can see by these screenshots, my pole mounted camera, powered by Wasserstein solar panel, is charging in this overcast weather.

•   I thought this morning it was at 75%,  but now it's down to 71%...but, the charge indicator shows active... 'll see how it does during the day. My camera is an Arlo essential Spotlight wireless camera.. it's got the USB plug and receptacle, not the magnetic attachment type.
  •  This is the first day of operation...I mounted it on the pole yesterday evening right before dark, so it didn't get a good day of practice to see if it was going to charge yesterday and return to charging this morning.

Screenshot_20230112-105918_Arlo Secure.jpg

Screenshot_20230112-095903_Arlo Secure.jpg

RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As evidenced by the two icons at lower right.... my Wasserstein is charging the battery.

This will be the first full day of operation for this panel.

This morning (it's overcast... snowed this morning) it's not getting very much sun, but it's kinda bright outside. An hour ago, the charge was at 71%, and when I just now took this picture, it was at 72%... so, it's putting a little bit of juice in the battery.
  The test will be what it does tomorrow...

Capture-crop.PNG

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@RegularJoe 
Your post needs to be relocated on the Forum to "Arlo Essential Spotlight Wireless Camera".  You also are using Wasserstein Solar Panel.
This post is about Arlo 4 Pro using the Arlo Solar Panel.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just to update for the week.....my issue with my 2 Pro 4's with Arlo solar panels continues. Despite very sunny days this week the cameras never charged. As per Arlo they want me to wait till the battery levels drop below 80% and send them new logs and screen shots....so there really has been nothing new to report. Issue continues!!!

allsod
Star
Star

@Bajathree  here is my screenshot of my main camera. At 24% since last Monday when was the last time  charged by Solar to 100% then has depleted ever since. Will probably climb the ladder tomorrow, disconnect and reconnect to get it back to 100%. Arlo, please address this problem, I’m paying AU $13/month for zero service!!