Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Essential Cameras Not Working qr code

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Mindy1043
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had about 5 hours of h*** on chat. I had Arlo Pro Cameras and one stopped charging. I bought a couple Essentials. They were great. You need to watch the spotlight because if it does not turn off it will drain your battery.

DO NOT FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS OF ARLO OR THE CHAT! THEY DIDN’T EVEN KNOW.

If you are instructed to use the modem, don’t do it! After 5 hours of chat, I decided I had nothing to lose and unplugged the modem. 

That did it! You cannot use the modem if you have over 2 cameras. It killed all six of my cameras. Then when I did the QR code, all of them chimed and all of them are working great. Not even the instructions say anything at all about it.

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mindy1043 wrote:

You cannot use the modem if you have over 2 cameras. 

What do you mean by "modem"?  Are you talking about an Arlo base station?  If so, which model?

Mindy1043
Aspirant
Aspirant

Base station fits. The rep kept calling it a modem. I had a Netgear. It was most frustrating. When you read instructions it keeps talking about the base station. The PRO cameras need the base station.

When I only had 2 Essentials it was not a problem. 

It was frustrating and the rep was upset that she didn’t know it and she was learning herself. 

They need to change this to a possibility. It doesn’t hurt to try. I was frustrated & decided it couldn’t hurt to unplug it. EVERYTHING WAS JUST SWEET AFTER THAT.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mindy1043 wrote:

Base station fits. The rep kept calling it a modem. I had a Netgear. It was most frustrating. When you read instructions it keeps talking about the base station. The PRO cameras need the base station.

What model base station?  A VMB4000?  or something else.  There should be a label on it with a VMB number.

I am asking because a compatible base can handle 6 cameras.  But it needs to be at least a VMB4000 to be compatible with the essential cameras.  It also is rather odd the turning off the base station made a difference.

Note also - now that you have 6 cameras in the account, I think you will lose your 7-day cloud storage on the Pro cameras when the trial subscription on the Essential cameras runs out.  You can either get a subscription, or shift the essential cameras to a different account.

@Mindy1043 wrote:

It was frustrating and the rep was upset that she didn’t know it and she was learning herself. 

Are you certain you were talking to Arlo support?  How did you reach them? 

Mindy1043
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is a VMP 4000. I have proof that I do NOT have to switch accounts confirmed through the Better Business Bureau. 

Here is the information you advertise about having as many cameras without additional charges. 

Here is an example I copied. It’s sad that it is double talk and difficult for buyers to understand.

With an Arlo Secure subscription, you can record to the Arlo cloud with up to 2K video resolution on 1 camera or multiple cameras. Through BBB I was told there is no difference. I have a VMB base station I can’t use. It’s my understanding it’s the same as Ring, but with Ring you don’t even have a MONTHLY FEE. 
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mindy1043 wrote:

With an Arlo Secure subscription, you can record to the Arlo cloud with up to 2K video resolution on 1 camera or multiple cameras. 

That is true, though the cost for the multiple camera subscription is higher than a single camera subscription.  https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...

My comment above was assuming that you didn't have an Arlo Subscription now (just the free trial on the Essential).   With no subscription at all, your older Pro cameras had 7-day cloud storage.  But that free cloud storage is limited to 5 unsubscribed cameras per account.

@Mindy1043 wrote:

Here is the information you advertise about having as many cameras without additional charges. 

Just to clarify - this is a user to user forum.  I don't work for Arlo, so I am not advertising anything.

@Mindy1043 wrote:
I have a VMB[4000] base station I can’t use. 

Which is unfortunate (and a puzzle with no satisfactory explanation).  Many people are using that base with Essential cameras.

Mindy1043
Aspirant
Aspirant

It’s impossible for me to prove what I’m saying because they keep blocking all evidence that I have. I don’t know if I am educating Arlo or a consumer. 

I can only tell you my experience. I felt I would spare someone from going through what I did. I can’t answer anymore. I’m disgusted with trying to prove the evidence & not allowed to do so.