6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
İlker
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi,

Thank you for the reply… Any hardware or software (vpn?) solution that you can recommend to record my three cameras input for security purposes…

I have three arlo essential spotlight..

P.S.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use of a VPN that encompasses your whole network (i.e. not a VPN supplied by your router) may be useful. You would need to remove all devices from your account first. Start the VPN which is connected to a server in the US or other supported country and connect at least your phone. You should then be able to connect your Arlo devices normally as if you were in that country. I suppose you may need a new account for this to work but can't be sure. Once set up you don't need the VPN any more, AFAIK, unless you're buying a subscription. You'd need a credit card issued in the remote country for that sub.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

I suppose you may need a new account for this to work but can't be sure.

I believe the account needs to be created with the VPN in place.

İlker
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you very much for the reply..

Not sure I will be able to make my whole network working on VPN.. so can you recommend me an arlo product, that I can make my essential spotlight cameras route and record on hardware sd cart or so?

Thanks in advance…

Ilker
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@İlker wrote:

Not sure I will be able to make my whole network working on VPN.. so can you recommend me an arlo product, that I can make my essential spotlight cameras route and record on hardware sd cart or so?

You could try purchasing a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000), and use direct access to local storage.  

There are several disadvantages compared to a subscription, but it does avoid the need for a VPN.

1. Recordings can only be viewed in the app (not the browser)
  2. Recordings can on be viewed from the primary account (not friend accounts)
  3. No ability to save manual recordings or snapshots
  4. No thumbnails (videos need to be downloaded to view them).
  5. viewing recordings remotely requires router settings changes (port forwarding) that some find difficult (and which won't work on some networks).

You'd also lose activity zones with no subscription.