Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Greg-CH22
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 5 Arlo cameras installed already and the are connected via a VMB5000r4 hub. Works well.

I purchased 2 VMC3060 cameras and made sure that they were compatible with my VMB5000 hub.  However, when I tried to connect a VMC3060 to the hub I am being forced to upgrade to the new app first BUT the new app warns me that my existing (and new) video doorbell cameras (AVD2001) won't work with the new app. They require a firmware upgrade I'm warned BUT there is NO FIRMWARE upgrade available for these AVD2001 doorbell cameras.

So how am I supposed to connect two new VMC3060 cameras?  Do I have to return them and get a refund?

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Greg-CH22 wrote:

I purchased 2 VMC3060 cameras and made sure that they were compatible with my VMB5000 hub. 

No idea where you looked, but the Gen 2 cameras aren't compatible with any hub.  Arlo is planning to add that, but they haven't yet.

So they need to be connected directly to your home wifi (which means no local storage at present).

@Greg-CH22 wrote:

BUT the new app warns me that my existing (and new) video doorbell cameras (AVD2001) won't work with the new app. They require a firmware upgrade I'm warned BUT there is NO FIRMWARE upgrade available for these AVD2001 doorbell cameras.

What firmware is running on the doorbell now?

Greg-CH22
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I actually asked the seller and they said it was compatible. I then gave it a cursory look myself and misread the article. You're right, they're not compatible.

Firmware for the AVD2001 is 1.8.0.0_4_4a16fed_758744c

So if I bypass the hub how do I connect to the cameras to view video or get notifications? 

Thank you for your help.

PS I just tried to connect without the hub but the KB article still says I need to use the app, which again wants me to upgrade before proceeding with adding the camera.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Greg-CH22 wrote:

Firmware for the AVD2001 is 1.8.0.0_4_4a16fed_758744c

That is the current firmware - see

@Greg-CH22 wrote:

PS I just tried to connect without the hub but the KB article still says I need to use the app, which again wants me to upgrade before proceeding with adding the camera.

The app has two user interfaces - an older one which shows "Library" as a menu option, and a newer one which instead shows "Feed" and "Dashboard".  The Gen 2 cameras (like the Pro 5s) require the newer interface, so the app will need to migrate you to "Feed".   I don't know why the app is warning you about the AVD2001, since it is already running current firmware.   I'm tagging the mods - @BrookeN , @ShayneS , @JamesC - to call their attention to this.  

@Greg-CH22 wrote:

So if I bypass the hub how do I connect to the cameras to view video or get notifications? 

The cameras connect directly to your home wifi.  They'd be in your account, so the app would still let you view the live video and get notifications.  You would need an Arlo Secure subscription to get cloud storage.

BrandonMcKinney
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any update on when the VMC3060 cameras will support connectivity to the VMB5000?