Removing camera for charging

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Parker77
Follower
Follower

How do I remove the camera to charge the battery?   It looks like it has a ball swivel and I don’t want to break that while getting out. Don’t want to remove whole mount either

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Parker77,

To charge the camera, remove it by sliding it up off the mounting plate. For more information, see here: https://kb.arlo.com/000063167/How-do-I-mount-my-Arlo-Essential-Outdoor-Camera-to-a-wall-2nd-Generati...

JamesC

bukhrn
Aspirant
Aspirant

After placing the  the camera onto the wall plate and sliding down to lock, there is no way to remove the camera for charging, as there is no way to unlock from the wall plate.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bukhrn,

While it may be difficult to remove, you can slide the mount up and remove it from the wall plate.

JamesC

PezHead65
Initiate
Initiate

You can only remove the camera if you've removed the locking tab prior to installation.  We have three Essential XL's and three Essential's and in all six the locking tab has broken after many removals for charging. The best thing would be to just break off the locking tab prior to installation.  Then you can easily slide the camera up and off of the mounting plate...it's going to break anyway after four or five forced removals.  It's a horrible design, with the camera screw inside the mount and the locking pin under the mounting plate.  They should have put a small hole in the bottom of the mounting plate so you could stick an open paper clip or something in there to unlock it.

DaddyChris
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well that link was no help. The question was how to remove the camera from the mount not how to mount the camera

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DaddyChris wrote:

Well that link was no help. The question was how to remove the camera from the mount not how to mount the camera

There are three relevant parts, not two.  There is the camera, the mount, and the wall plate.  For charging, you remove the camera+mount from the wall plate - you don't need to detach the camera from the mount.   To do that, you 

1. Look carefully at the mount, and locate the triangle (arrow) embossed on the edge.  If you followed the mounting instructions in the link above, that arrow is pointing up.
  2. Slide the camera+mount in the direction of the arrow.

It can be hard to slide, but it should come off the wall plate.

If that doesn't work for you, try rotating the camera, which will unscrew the camera from the mount.  Then it will be easier to slide the mount off the wallplate.  But you will have to re-attach the mount to the camera before you can put the camera back.

jsjbug12
Aspirant
Aspirant

What if I accidentally locked the camera to the mount before installing the mount to the wall.  Any way to get the camera off the mount?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jsjbug12 wrote:

What if I accidentally locked the camera to the mount

I don't know any way to do that with the Gen 2 camera.

But if you can't slide the camera+mount off the mounting plate for some reason, you can alternatively unscrew the camera from the mount by twisting it.  Then lift the mount from the plate.

Then attach the camera to the mount before putting it back onto the plate.