Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Looking for 4 outdoor WiFi, wired cameras.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CameraTypes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi everyone.

Poting my question here because there are so many options I don't know which camera is best or my needs.

I want to install 4 or 5 outdoor security cameras. WiFi is not an issue but I do not want to use batteries and would prefer to wire the cameras to outlets behind the vinyl siding and / or through the soffit(s). I would like the best resolution possible and best picture clarity at night. I don't care about 2-way conversations or lights but they're not deal breakers.

Ideally, I would love to be able to store video and sound locally instead of on Arlo's subscription-based cloud service, but that's also not a deal breaker for me. The real stickler is I don't want to use batteries.

Can anyone make a recommendation?

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CameraTypes wrote:

WiFi is not an issue but I do not want to use batteries and would prefer to wire the cameras to outlets behind the vinyl siding and / or through the soffit(s). I would like the best resolution possible and best picture clarity at night. I don't care about 2-way conversations or lights but they're not deal breakers.

The real stickler is I don't want to use batteries.

Are you ok with having the batteries installed, as long as you can power the cameras from the outlets?

CameraTypes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB.

I just don't want to go outside on a ladder and swap batteries when they run out.

Can cameras come with batteries and a wire for charging?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CameraTypes wrote:

Can cameras come with batteries and a wire for charging?

Yes.  There is an outdoor rated charger (integrated cable+power adapter) available for all the Arlo cameras.  The cable is 25 feet, which likely is more than you will need - so you would need to have some way to take up the slack.  If the cameras and power outlet are protected from whether you could also try the indoor charger.

@CameraTypes wrote:

I just don't want to go outside on a ladder and swap batteries when they run out.

Personally I put my cameras where I can reach them easily.  They do occasionally need to be reset or restarted, so I like to have them accessible.

Also, the motion detection range is only 20-25 feet, so keep that in mind when you plan out their locations.

As far as models go, the basic options are the 

1. Essential Gen 2 2K
  2. Pro 3/Pro 4/Pro 5
  3. Ultra

The Gen 2 model is the least expensive and charges over USB-C.  The battery is fully sealed, and not user replaceable.  The main drawbacks here are that the camera is fairly new, and I think there are some issues that still need to be worked out and fixed with firmware.  Also, it is missing a couple of features (smarthub support and homekit).

The three Pro models are quite similar - I think the Pro 3 and Pro 4 are being discontinued.  The Pro 3 requires a smarthub, the Pro 4 and Pro 5 can be connected to your home wifi.  All have user-replacable batteries. All use a proprietary magnetic connector - which is a bit bulky, so it will require a bigger hole in the siding than the USB-C connector.

The Ultra is the only 4K model, and is the oldest currently sold Arlo camera.  It uses the same cables and battery as the Pro models, and requires a smarthub.

All require a subscription for cloud storage and smart notifications.

Given that you are hard-wiring the cameras and are worried about accessing them, you might also look at other manufacturers who offer power-over-ethernet cameras.  These usually also require some in-home equipment (a PoE switch and PC to manage the cameras, store the videos, etc).  I don't have any cameras like that, so I have no suggestions to offer.