Poor Motion Detection

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
NHDA
Tutor
Tutor

I just set up my Arlo Essential cam…it is the fifth Arlo I have but this one is for outside. It doesn’t capture motion at night at all and I have the sensitivities set appropriately.  

i also put an older Pro 2 outside, and it isnt capturing ALL the motion.  For instance, A skunk crossed our yard right in front of the camera last night and it only picked up the Critter as it left the yard instead of the whole crossing.

Anyone have any fixes or explanations?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How did you set the motion detection sensitivity? Generally, it would be in the camera settings under Default Mode Settings. Have you tested it yourself by walking back and forth across the FOV at different distances? Remember that detection for any device that uses PIR (passive IR) detectors is across the FOV, not at the device. DIstance can also be an issue where detection is out to maybe (depending on placement) 25 feet in a straight line from the camera to the subject.

NHDA
Tutor
Tutor

Yes I set the settings like that on the camera.  Yes I tested it myself by walking across the yard at night and it seemed to be fine but Im now assuming anything smaller than a human it might not pick up and record.  Id say the distance may be about….15/20 feet?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@NHDA wrote:

Id say the distance may be about….15/20 feet?

See

Most of the cameras are spec'd at 23 feet (7m) max motion detection range.

NHDA
Tutor
Tutor

Well, doesnt make sense.  Last night, the OLD camera caught the bobcat lurking in the treeline.  The NEW camera, which was closer, got nothing. Unless it’s human sized, this new camera catches nothing.  Very disappointed and wont buy again.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@NHDA wrote:

Well, doesnt make sense.  Last night, the OLD camera caught the bobcat lurking in the treeline.  The NEW camera, which was closer, got nothing. Unless it’s human sized, this new camera catches nothing.  Very disappointed and wont buy again.

All the cameras will sometimes pick up motion that is further away than the spec'd limit, and of course some cameras might exceed Arlo's spec.