Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
abcdefghij
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am looking at adding Arlo Essential Outdoor 2nd Gen cameras to an existing system which has a SmartHub VMB4000.  Are these compatible?

My first internet search brought me here:

https://www.arlo.com/en_be/support/faq/000062420/Can-I-connect-my-Arlo-Essential-wire-free-camera-to...

Which states:

"Yes. You can connect your Arlo Essential wire-free camera to a VMB5000, VMB4540, VMB4500, or VMB4000 SmartHub or base station."

However this KB article says no:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station

"The following devices are unable to pair directly with Arlo SmartHubs or Arlo Base Stations:

• Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera HD (2nd Generation)
  • Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera 2K (2nd Generation)"

Does anyone know what the correct answer is?

Thanks,

Aaron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The first knowledge base article you've linked is referring to 1st generation Essential devices. 2nd generation devices are not yet compatible with base stations/SmartHubs. This compatibility will be coming in a future firmware release.

JamesC

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The first knowledge base article you've linked is referring to 1st generation Essential devices. 2nd generation devices are not yet compatible with base stations/SmartHubs. This compatibility will be coming in a future firmware release.

JamesC

abcdefghij
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC Thanks for clearing that up.  It would be nice if those articles included model numbers so we knew exactly what they are referring to.

Nathanlp0
Initiate
Initiate

Is there an announced ETA on this update? I’m seeing forums that go back several months discussing this but can’t find an ETA. I bought Arlo specifically for HomeKit integration, and if it’s not possible I will likely return.

DPit
Initiate
Initiate

Hi, I fell into the same trap by the misguiding article. Happy not to return the cameras if the firmware update is released soon. Do you have an ETA of the release? Otherwise how do you get a refund for the cameras because they become useless? Disappointing Arlo tries to milk existing loyal customers for subscription fees. If they don’t connect to a base station they should not be sold. Thanks 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

While I do not have an exact release date at this time or Base Station/SmartHub and HomeKit compatibility, we do plan to make an announcement about these integrations later this year. Once we have more information available, we will provide an update here on the community and on arlo.com about these features.

JamesC

DKS1020
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo,

YOU MUST provide a date as to when your Essential Outdoor Cam 2nd Gen will be able to connect and record locally to base station or smart hub!

This is 2024! Why didn’t you make this a part of the hardware configuration to begin with?

WE EXPECT ANSWERS NOW!

ferdzilao
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can we just return this ARLO Essential crap? They won’t connect to my base station either

DavidVisalia
Initiate
Initiate

Essentials should have never been sold.  The ridiculously small solar

panel plus inability to connect to  a base station is totally frustrating.  Animal traffic drains the battery overnight.  This will be my last Arlo purchase if not fixed soon.  
I thought I was upgrading.  Totally frustrated and disappointed.

DavidVisalia
Initiate
Initiate

Can’t happen soon enough.  Essentials are garbage.  My high speed internet is being adversely affected plus  need to be careful where to place them

Mthompson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why would you sell these without a warning on compatibility issues. I just purchased the 3 camera solar kit and was setting this up when I came across this.  If you can’t provide a date on this update I will be returning this kit for a refund. I am very disappointed with Arlo.