Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
gschirro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Anyone else having issues all of a sudden with the newer camera (vmc2030) is not connecting? If I move closer to the base station, then it connects. What's odd is that my older Arlo camera's (VMC4030) stay connected. And now, as I'm typing, my base (VMB500) decides to start blinking orange. My vmc2030 was working fine last week. I think some update messed up something.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds like a signal strength and/or quality issue. If you have multiple cameras, swap them around to see if it's the camera or location. If you only have one camera try other locations that get you the needed view.

gschirro
Aspirant
Aspirant

My issue is that the newer camera was working fine and all of a sudden it stopped working. It only works if I move the camera closer to the router or base. This should not be happening.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gschirro wrote:

My issue is that the newer camera was working fine and all of a sudden it stopped working. It only works if I move the camera closer to the router or base. This should not be happening.

Something could have changed in the environment that reduced the signal quality.

If the base is fairly close to your router, try measuring the wifi upload speed at the camera location with your phone.  Use the free Ookla app (speedtest.net) with cellular data disabled on your phone.  Look for packet loss as well as the speed (which needs to be comfortably above 1 mbps).

gschirro
Aspirant
Aspirant

The base and the router are in the same place it's been in forever. This is why I'm so perplexed. The app did update; I feel like that's the cause but I'm not an expert.

And why would an older camera work versus and newer camera? Maybe because the newer one is trying to connect to 5 GHz.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gschirro wrote:

The base and the router are in the same place it's been in forever.

I didn't say you moved the base and router.  There are some other possibilities (for instance a neighbor changing to a new wifi system that is generating some interference).

• The VMC2030 only has a 2.4 ghz radio, so it cannot attempt to connect to 5 ghz.
  • I don't think this is an app issue, as that shouldn't result in the smarthub flashing amber.

I still suggest starting measuring your home wifi speed at the camera location.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation